Broken Harmonic balancer

fhrrmc

I have an 89 SC w/ 152,000. The harmonic Balancer Sheared off leaving the aluminum nozzle on the end of the crankshaft. This happened at approximately 146,000 miles. I had a local shop remove the remaining nozzle as well as the bolt that was broken off in the end of the Crank. He replaced the balancer with a part form Dorman's and the bolt came directly from Ford. After 6,000 miles, the balancer sheared off a second time. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this a case of a faulty part or a symptom of a larger problem? The engine runs smoothly and doesn't seem to have any issues. Unfortunately the replacement was done almost 2 years ago and the mechanic will not warranty the work. Any ideas how to remove the nozzle from the end of the shaft?

The Dorman replacement balancer is the issue...they are not recommended by anyone who is knowledgeable about the SC platform.

On the 89-93 SCs the powerbond balancers are the suggested replacement that work and are well built.

PowerBond Premium OEM Replacement Harmonic Balancers - part number is PB1530N.

Summit and O'Reilly Auto parts sell them. I got mine for 90$ shipped with a coupon code via OR website.

-Tim

You can remove the broken piece from the end of the shaft very carefully with a balancer puller if you CAREFULLY drill three holes (every 120 degrees) in the materials left on the crank. Once you have tiny holes drilled you can carefully insert a screw in each hole and extract the broken balancer. There's a good descriptive thread around here somewhere. I was trying to find it but haven't stumbled onto it yet.

Back