Drag Brakes

fastsc92

Looking for some opinions on front drag brakes. I'm running 93+ spindles with 17" skinnies. I had cobra brakes but they are just too heavy. This will be a drag application only, 2800lb and I'll also be running a chute. My 3 options are:

Aerospace 4 piston, 2 piece 11.375" rotors
93cam1.png

Strange 2 piston, 1 piece 11.25" rotors (also available in 2 piece)
HD-2-PC-Front-No-Hub-1.jpg

Wilwood 4 piston, 2 piece 11.75" rotors
brake_kit_140-10015-D-sm.jpg

All the above fit 94-04 mustangs however the Aerospace kits require spindle mods and will not bolt up to the factory locations. Their brackets are mustang specific.

Any risk of the 4 piston units being poorly matched to the factory master cylinder? Am I better with a 2 piston unit?

Thoughts on any of the above?

Just as a data point, I run the 12.25" Wilwood vented rotor setup with their dual piston calipers on my Fox body mustang. I ended up using the 1995 Mustang Cobra master cylinder and it works great. The Cobra master cylinders seem to do well with bigger brake setups.

Right now I am thinking about ways to convert my 1989 SC to fully manual brakes just so I can ditch that heavy ABS system. I was thinking of just using a mustang master cylinder mounting plate and re-drilling whatever firewall holes I need to in order to fit the studs to the T bird. For the pedal I was thinking of going with the Maximum Motorsports manual pedal that allows adjustments to pedal height and stroke.

How did you convert yours?

I went with the Willwood setup but I also went with a matching Willwood master cylinder

The question is specifically aimed towards a front setup. I knew you were running them out back with your solid axle. Did you swap over the fronts too? I know at one time you were running GT-style calipers.

Do you have any thoughts on why or if a stock 93+ master would not work when combined with a 4-piston front (and eventually a 4-piston rear kit)?

Ive got them front and rear now.....ditched the whole ABS vacuum booster deal a few years ago when I needed to change to real drag wheels on the front. I was tossed out of Lebanon Valley for using aluminum spare wheels for my skinnies so changed front spindles and brakes to accommodate the new drag wheels.

No real experience on the 93 master.

The question is specifically aimed towards a front setup. I knew you were running them out back with your solid axle. Did you swap over the fronts too? I know at one time you were running GT-style calipers.

Do you have any thoughts on why or if a stock 93+ master would not work when combined with a 4-piston front (and eventually a 4-piston rear kit)?

Back