Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new addiction therapy/reminder

Lots of people doing things with Supercoupes, they just aren't posting on SCCOA about it anymore. It's a communication avenue that has died (forums in general) due to the rise of social media as you all know. People have moved on to instant gratification. It's funny to think how many hours some of us old timers spent trying to teach, learn, and share on these forums thinking that we were creating a huge database of information for future generations and the growth of our hobby/addiction. Oddly enough, it's all pretty much pointless now. Most of the information here is jumbled and incomplete, and with no one checking in to clarify or direct or energize discussions, people just don't come here anymore.

I check in pretty regular but rarely read posts due to the regurgitated nature of the topics. "Why doesn't my car start?" "What muffler sounds best?" Same questions come up on FB, but there at least they are mixed in with other posts and are easy to ignore and forget about, not permanent posts that scream for attention.

I have no idea where the whole thing will lead, but I do know that people are still building fast SC's and making HP. It's just harder to sift through the BS and find them, and/or the owners are more interested in showing up the local crowd than posting about it on the internet. I know my interest has shifted away from purely SC things to the bigger world of HP things and people I can face to face with vs. the internet all the time.

PS. 20's are yesterday's news. Bigs and littles are the new thing. You can finally buy wheels that will clear Cobra brakes and skinny tires that will live on the street, and street slicks that will actually hook up. It's a new world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    It's a communication avenue that has died (forums in general) due to the rise of social media
    Would you say that vendors like yourself have given up on forums? Is time better spent marketing via social media completely?
    Last edited by KMT; 08-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Facebook really f*cked it up.

Physical newsletters were the way to share info before the net. Then it was email and bulletin boards. Now its facebook and chimes on your smart phone.

The problem with facebook is that you get too much cross information (Chime - "hey an update to my SCCoA question." Chime "Whoa Flo Rida and Lucadris are on tour!") Nevermind its a fake world of everyone being "friends" with everyone so you never know what is sacred and what is superficial. Then there is the problem of older content that can't easily be retrieved, if ever. But people are lazy and if they already spend time on facebook showing off their BBQ and new watch, so its easier to deal navigate a facebook version of SCCoA. Even if it sucks.

It sure would be nice if the world decided to depart from facebook like they did with myspace.

PS. 20's are yesterday's news. Bigs and littles are the new thing. You can finally buy wheels that will clear Cobra brakes and skinny tires that will live on the street, and street slicks that will actually hook up. It's a new world.
    I never liked the skinnies/drag in street form. Itís like wearing your sports gear to dinner or work. They people know you can probably pound their face in and that you take fitness seriously. But itís just not the right attire.

I know people are building behind courtains, some quit half way others stick it out. Local Shows will be the future imo they are affordable and easily accessible. The veterans seen one seen them all, I mean when Ken built his car we talked about it for months. Now he redoes the engine bay and most are like pad in the back good job. Then comes the polarization of tubos vs superchargers. That one can get attention but it goes nowhere in the end. Like I said people are visiting and looking they are simply just not motivated enough to say anything at all.

BTW I better get some props from the import stance kids or else Iíll get mad. Last car show I went had all flavors I could not relate to the old stuff, I asked will that be me in 20 years? Quickly moved to the vape crowd and said wait a minute I look like a child predator. Then I shifted to 80 and 90s cars and felt a better connection, but most was junk but had nostalgia to it to go with it. Then there was the exotic stuff and kinda made me feel like I messed up in life call it envy? Then there was the new muscle stuff, the affordable stuff was ok. But the big ticket new muscle was my interest, zl1 hellcats gt350 but all I could think is maybe someday they will depreciate.....In the end I left with an identity crisis.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC - 480whp at TI/SCU
    On the 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP and 12.2535 @112.18. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9.
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid LS 6.0l LZ1

Quote Originally Posted by Micahdogg View Post

Physical newsletters were the way to share info before the net. Then it was email and bulletin boards. Now its facebook and chimes on your smart phone.

The problem with facebook is that you get too much cross information (Chime - "hey an update to my SCCoA question." Chime "Whoa Flo Rida and Lucadris are on tour!") Nevermind its a fake world of everyone being "friends" with everyone so you never know what is sacred and what is superficial. Then there is the problem of older content that can't easily be retrieved, if ever. But people are lazy and if they already spend time on facebook showing off their BBQ and new watch, so its easier to deal navigate a facebook version of SCCoA. Even if it sucks.

It sure would be nice if the world decided to depart from facebook like they did with myspace.

Guess I'm SOL because I don't have Facebook, but good thing I checked in on this thread because now I know Flo Rida and Ludacris are on tour.

Do you still have your 250r?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Would you say that vendors like yourself have given up on forums? Is time better spent marketing via social media completely?
    I'm speaking as an individual, and I don't really spend any time/money marketing on either one so I really can't answer that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

I'm speaking as an individual, and I don't really spend any time/money marketing on either one so I really can't answer that.
    Got it, thanks.

Used to run a Merkur website, where the forums and articles grew to a fair amount of value until all topics were covered. Eventually online interest fell off and owners mostly got together in person at meets/events. Seemed a shame to let that knowledge go away - it was all eventually distilled down into an 'encyclopedia' and fossilized for future generations. Been ages since I've even seen one of those cars...

Quote Originally Posted by 99GSXR750 View Post

Do you still have your 250r?

Mike
    Yep. Entered it in the Flat River Grand Prix this May and got 2nd place.

Didnít a bunch of ppl die in the 70s and 80 on trikes. Was it fake news...
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC - 480whp at TI/SCU
    On the 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP and 12.2535 @112.18. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9.
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade Hybrid LS 6.0l LZ1

Better put your helmet back on. That dude looks like he wants to punch you.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Didnít a bunch of ppl die in the 70s and 80 on trikes. Was it fake news...
    Not fake, there were a lot of injuries and deaths. It got sensationalized and the Consumer Product Safety Commission placed a 10 year ban on sales in the US starting in 1986. It has long since expired, but by 1985 Suzuki already figured out that adding a 4th wheel made the "all terrain cycle" significantly more stable.

The problem was before the 3-wheeler, there was no ATV. This was marketed as a 3 wheel motorcycle, but the handling and physics are nothing like a motorcycle. So it had quite a steep learning curve, which was even steeper if you rode like a typical goober in the 1980's (no helmet, drunk, on the train tracks at night).

P.S. Remember when the Consumer Product Safety Commission freaked out about lead-tainted toys coming from China - and temporarily place a sweeping ban on all kinds of stuff. It was a very similar reaction to the 3-wheelers. It was based on a good idea, but got a little out of control.

This 60 minutes episode was credited for hammering the final coffin nails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1I5DweHlnQ

Nice! My buddy and his son are heavily involved in motocross and he's always trying to get me to do some vintage racing with my Tecate. I told him when he get 80's KX 125 back together, I'll consider it...haha!

The problem was before the 3-wheeler, there was no ATV. This was marketed as a 3 wheel motorcycle, but the handling and physics are nothing like a motorcycle. So it had quite a steep learning curve, which was even steeper if you rode like a typical goober in the 1980's (no helmet, drunk, on the train tracks at night).
    And that parents tended not to supervise their 10 year olds either. My buddy has vhs video of him and his cousin jumping his klt 185 2up nonetheless when they were probably about 12. Actually the same buddy from my above comment.

Just a short chime in. Have spent hours and will spend many more reading past threads on how issues were solved. Answers are there. The Pearl 95 auto is a project to bring it up to double din nav, reliable easy to replace modern upgrades to build a car not afraid to drive cross country. The 89 and 95 5 will stay mostly stock because already are and no need to break working. Not sexy high HP builds but with any luck 3 SC's are on the road. Not rotting away.

Sincerly thank all that take the time to share their knowledge. Got not so short, sorry.

Creighton

Quote Originally Posted by Creighton View Post
    Just a short chime in. Have spent hours and will spend many more reading past threads on how issues were solved. Answers are there....

Sincerly thank all that take the time to share their knowledge...

Creighton
    As I put my car back on the road the above sums up the forum perfectly. There is so much information available that I don't need to post questions for 99.9% of my issues.

That is what makes this forum so valuable.

Sean
    '91 White 5-Speed

I have to agree here as well. Forums in general are being killed by Facebook and the 'right now' generation.
    Also, and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't use or believe in Facebook, but is it not free to use Facebook? Our membership fees are used to cover the cost of this forum.
    What's up with the SCCoA then setting up a Facebook page?
    Perhaps the club should shut down Facebook and replace it with a link to this forum that the members are paying for.
    Just sayin'
    Alan