My new addiction therapy/reminder

Would you say that vendors like yourself have given up on forums? Is time better spent marketing via social media completely?

I'm speaking as an individual, and I don't really spend any time/money marketing on either one so I really can't answer that.

I'm speaking as an individual, and I don't really spend any time/money marketing on either one so I really can't answer that.

Got it, thanks.

Used to run a Merkur website, where the forums and articles grew to a fair amount of value until all topics were covered. Eventually online interest fell off and owners mostly got together in person at meets/events. Seemed a shame to let that knowledge go away - it was all eventually distilled down into an 'encyclopedia' and fossilized for future generations. Been ages since I've even seen one of those cars...

Do you still have your 250r?

Mike

Yep. Entered it in the Flat River Grand Prix this May and got 2nd place.

dvOSdGP.jpg

Didn’t a bunch of ppl die in the 70s and 80 on trikes. Was it fake news...

Not fake, there were a lot of injuries and deaths. It got sensationalized and the Consumer Product Safety Commission placed a 10 year ban on sales in the US starting in 1986. It has long since expired, but by 1985 Suzuki already figured out that adding a 4th wheel made the "all terrain cycle" significantly more stable.

The problem was before the 3-wheeler, there was no ATV. This was marketed as a 3 wheel motorcycle, but the handling and physics are nothing like a motorcycle. So it had quite a steep learning curve, which was even steeper if you rode like a typical goober in the 1980's (no helmet, drunk, on the train tracks at night).

P.S. Remember when the Consumer Product Safety Commission freaked out about lead-tainted toys coming from China - and temporarily place a sweeping ban on all kinds of stuff. It was a very similar reaction to the 3-wheelers. It was based on a good idea, but got a little out of control.

This 60 minutes episode was credited for hammering the final coffin nails. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1I5DweHlnQ

Yep. Entered it in the Flat River Grand Prix this May and got 2nd place.

Nice! My buddy and his son are heavily involved in motocross and he's always trying to get me to do some vintage racing with my Tecate. I told him when he get 80's KX 125 back together, I'll consider it...haha!

The problem was before the 3-wheeler, there was no ATV. This was marketed as a 3 wheel motorcycle, but the handling and physics are nothing like a motorcycle. So it had quite a steep learning curve, which was even steeper if you rode like a typical goober in the 1980's (no helmet, drunk, on the train tracks at night).

And that parents tended not to supervise their 10 year olds either. My buddy has vhs video of him and his cousin jumping his klt 185 2up nonetheless when they were probably about 12. Actually the same buddy from my above comment.

Just a short chime in. Have spent hours and will spend many more reading past threads on how issues were solved. Answers are there. The Pearl 95 auto is a project to bring it up to double din nav, reliable easy to replace modern upgrades to build a car not afraid to drive cross country. The 89 and 95 5 will stay mostly stock because already are and no need to break working. Not sexy high HP builds but with any luck 3 SC's are on the road. Not rotting away.

Sincerly thank all that take the time to share their knowledge. Got not so short, sorry.

Creighton

Just a short chime in. Have spent hours and will spend many more reading past threads on how issues were solved. Answers are there....

Sincerly thank all that take the time to share their knowledge...

Creighton

As I put my car back on the road the above sums up the forum perfectly. There is so much information available that I don't need to post questions for 99.9% of my issues.

That is what makes this forum so valuable.

Sean

Facebook really f*cked it up.
Physical newsletters were the way to share info before the net. Then it was email and bulletin boards. Now its facebook and chimes on your smart phone.
It sure would be nice if the world decided to depart from facebook like they did with myspace.

I have to agree here as well. Forums in general are being killed by Facebook and the 'right now' generation.
Also, and correct me if I'm wrong because I don't use or believe in Facebook, but is it not free to use Facebook? Our membership fees are used to cover the cost of this forum.
What's up with the SCCoA then setting up a Facebook page?
Perhaps the club should shut down Facebook and replace it with a link to this forum that the members are paying for.
Just sayin'
Alan

You have to use both to understand the attractiveness of the Facebook sccoa page. It takes two s seconds to post something for those with the app installed on their phone, you get instant feedback from most. That’s cause if you have default settings set you will get an alert of a new post or reply to your own post. Next is the ease of loading up pictures. No downsizing or hosting, just click and post. Now me generation is trying to be efficient so they can do other things. What most don’t recognize is that by doing so the post gets lost in Facebook black hole once the activity gets stale and searching well that’s gets lost too. Therefore the sccoa forum has become the archives of Sc secrets. Or the Vault. I asked a while back if we can have an app based sccoa forum. Like SVT performance has, it leverages the forums to post but brings the benefits of the now me generation. Then shut down the Facebook page all together. This should be vote based.

Remember the days when there was a 100 or so members online at the same time? Remember when you got sick of JD pouring out his run times and had nothing to back it up? This club site is still around, it will be around after FB page has gone too!! People are gonna get sick of the arguing BS on facebook page and not go on there perhaps?!?! I'm on here almost everyday either signed in or just lurking around looking at good old posts or who had the fastest times and what they had to get there.... A lot of people have come and gone on here but the club is still going on which I'm very happy about!!

Lots of people doing things with Supercoupes, they just aren't posting on SCCOA about it anymore. It's a communication avenue that has died (forums in general) due to the rise of social media as you all know. People have moved on to instant gratification. It's funny to think how many hours some of us old timers spent trying to teach, learn, and share on these forums thinking that we were creating a huge database of information for future generations and the growth of our hobby/addiction. Oddly enough, it's all pretty much pointless now. Most of the information here is jumbled and incomplete, and with no one checking in to clarify or direct or energize discussions, people just don't come here anymore.

You are absolutely correct about social media and instant gratification. I think the weakness of that medium is becoming apparent to car guys though, IE it doesn't lend itself well to lengthy technical discussions since most people are on a phone and there is no way to archive the discussions even if they do happen.

Since I only entered the SC world recently I have a very fresh view of this site. For me it has been invaluable for tech on my car. And I notice that many of the threads I reference are over ten years old.

To me this site is where it's at for all my Supercoupe needs, questions and answers. On here you have the ability to search for specific things and see threads as far back as 2003. Yes I do check out the Facebook page but I don't really care for it. If all of those Facebook folks would come on this site I'm sure that they would appreciate the info and knowledge much more. I do realize that it is a younger generation thing but I've always agreed with "If it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person.

long timer here...

I have been around here for a lot of years now. I was here for the jimmy d fun and games and yes I did steer the pot with him. I am sure I burned more that a few bridges along the way BUT I also made a lot of friends as well. I have helped a lot of guys out and got people parts that were hard to come by... I remember getting my hands on a bunch of nos "DIS" when you could not find them anywhere and passing them along to people who really needed them without ripping... These are the things that this page has done for me as well as a lot of others.. No way could face book do even part of what this site has done. I just wish that more people would come back here to enjoy these car and the people that have them...PLEASE don't ever shut this spot down.... that is all I got to say.....Rich

RicardoA1

Not sure if things will go back unless we shut down the Facebook site. Albeit I see a new set of people there especially the Mexican folks. I’m trying to do my part and post more here than on the Facebook page. But at times conversations are more fluid there.

BTW

Tires and flywheel are ordered. I had also purchased the damaged vac lines from last years fire. A non tacky steering wheel air bag. I also wanted to pull the addco bars and put the 89 bars. But not sure I want the extra work. I also need paint the rotors and calipers so things look somewhat decent behind the wheels. Omg never ends but getting closer I hope.

The facebook debate is always worth a chuckle. There are lots of comparisons that can be made about how technology changes society... we dont listen to records or share a party line anymore, most people dont read news papers these days, but i bet most everyone of you guys has a phone that can text. I happen to like the idea of forums, but its almost the same as liking old vinyl records. they will always have cult following, but they are outdated. However, I see a world where both facebook and the forums exist together. the forums will never overtake facebook as a method of communicating, as facebook is a better platform for quick communication. But the forums have a far better method of searching and storing information. I really like what Pat was trying to do with the index page. its a way to find good information quickly, which can otherwise be a challenge (especially for a newbie that doesnt know what something is called). I also like that you can document a build on here and share it with however many people use the site. my GFP thread has been viewed almost 10k times. so the forums are still getting some traffic, even if people dont comment. thats my $0.02 that nobody asked for!

Back