Thread: Factory headunit

Factory headunit

Replaced factory head unit with a OEM unit. My old headunit would come on just no sound. The one I replaced it with was out of a 90 super coupe with premium sound like mine. It turns on and plays music it just won't turn up loud. Volume all the way up and its sounds like a whisper. Any suggestions? I want the OEM style to keep it stock looking. Anyone repairing these?

Quote Originally Posted by 90blacksc View Post
    Replaced factory head unit with a OEM unit. My old headunit would come on just no sound. The one I replaced it with was out of a 90 super coupe with premium sound like mine. It turns on and plays music it just won't turn up loud. Volume all the way up and its sounds like a whisper. Any suggestions? I want the OEM style to keep it stock looking. Anyone repairing these?
    Paul Protos was the man that repaired these several years ago. Sent him my HU and CD player and they came back not only working great, but they looked as good as new. I am not sure what his contact information on here is though.

Edit: Here's his profile. He's still around here and logged into the site about a week ago.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/member.php?987-TwoTimeSC
    Last edited by A1cntrler; 08-01-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Added contact info
    1990 Anniversary 5 speed: Built 4/90
    Motor is finally in and it is ALIVE!

1990 Anniversary 5 speed parts car. Built 2/90

Quote Originally Posted by A1cntrler View Post
    Paul Protos was the man that repaired these several years ago. Sent him my HU and CD player and they came back not only working great, but they looked as good as new. I am not sure what his contact information on here is though.

Edit: Here's his profile. He's still around here and logged into the site about a week ago.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/member.php?987-TwoTimeSC
    Thanks I'll look him up

I tried sending him a message says that's his box has exceeded the amount of messages
    Last edited by 90blacksc; 08-01-2018 at 10:43 PM.

I just cleared my messages to make more room.

If your replacement '90 unit came from a car with the factory CD player, it will be virtually silent without a working CD player attached, even from radio & tape. Ford made Premium Sound head units that were to be interfaced with CD Players, and those that were meant to work without the factory CD. The only way to tell them apart is by their part number. That MAY be your problem, but, these particular units are so troublesome until rebuilt that both could have issues. They ALL fail in time due to leaking capacitors.

I am still around but I'm taking about a much needed 6 month break from my repairs that I have been doing for the last 15 years.

If you can wait until the first of the year, reach out to me at polyscroll@hotmail.com.

Paul Protos

Paul repaired the radio and CD player in my Anniversary and I'm more than happy with the finished results. If you can deal with the lack of tunes until next year, I'd wait.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!