Ecu swap for a tuner ?

Legion

Can I swap a 96+ 2004 mustang 3.8 ecu to my sc engine? Custom build. I'm dropping in the SC in my 1994 ranger.
Can I use the mustang ecu and tune it ? Trans is a 4r70w J modded with a Hayden trans cooler. I have a trans adapter to bolt my stock 1356 BW t case. What parts will I need to do the swap? I really don't want a chip . I want an ecu I can just plug the sct tuner to it and go.i know it will need to be tuner by the Dyno shop. That's fine

That ECM will not work with the SC harness, but if you run the complete Mustang harness, there is no reason why it could not run the SC engine with a tune. You may need to swap some sensors out for the Mustang ones, but it could run it.

In short yes it can run a SC engine.

I have a 96 TBird that was an NA 3.8 that I put a SC setup on and tuned it with the NA computer.

If I understand what you're wanting to do (get a car running without a tune?)....maybe you should start with a 94/94 SC ECU, since those have the electronic transmissions. Seems like that would be the easiest way to get it done. :confused:

here we go?

Soooo is the Ford "Quarterhore tuner" go to go for dummies?.. I'll need the simplest unit I can fine for a starter. I have 2 SC's, 1989 5 sp, some mods and a 1990 auto trans, stock . Too say my computer skills are limited is an understatement. I've tried to make sense of some postings on site but they are Greek to me... I am able to get termites out of the mound using a stick, so there may be hope???...I'd like to be able to at least control fan turn on temps, etc... What else will I need to have some control ?. Mike in Arizona

Soooo is the Ford "Quarterhore tuner" go to go for dummies?.. I'll need the simplest unit I can fine for a starter. I have 2 SC's, 1989 5 sp, some mods and a 1990 auto trans, stock . Too say my computer skills are limited is an understatement. I've tried to make sense of some postings on site but they are Greek to me... I am able to get termites out of the mound using a stick, so there may be hope???...I'd like to be able to at least control fan turn on temps, etc... What else will I need to have some control ?. Mike in Arizona

QuarterHorSe ... not Hore! :p

You'll also want Binary Editor and the strategy file for your ECU; there's a catch code that you can use to pick the strategy.

This is all explained in the Moates FAQs, so I'd peruse them.

Step 0 - Buy LaSota's book on tuning with the Quarterhorse. While you're at it, grab Greg Banish's books on ECU tuning for an overview that isn't quite Ford/QuarterHorse specific. Also, buy the QuarterHorse and Binary Editor; you may be able to get both from a tuner and help support them. Also, get a good wide band and ADD a bung on each side for the sensor (plug them when not actively tuning).

Step 1 - Copy current factory tune into the QuarterHorse.

Step 2- Research ALL the settings; datalog extensively.

Step 3 to 999,999 - Repeat Step 2. :p Seriously. You have now been handed a sawed off shotgun with a hair trigger. Be very, Very, VERY careful about being positive about what you're doing. While repeating these steps, study up LaSota's book to see how well you're visualizing the changes that COULD be made.

Step 1,000,000 - Set the fan turn on LOWER to verify you've got a grip on it.

Step 1,000,001 - Proceed with caution if you're tuning all yourself. See previous note about sawed off shotgun.

(Why sawed off shotgun with a hair trigger? Go lean at WOT, and you can end up with multiple partial cylinder motors under the hood ... )

Don’t take this the wrong way, but if you aren’t good with computers, then tuning is not for you! I am fairly good with computers, and I understand all the concepts of what is being changed and why, and have even done some tuning on my own vehicles, but especially with forced induction, it is very easy to screw up and blow things up, and even if you don’t blow anything up, it will likely take months of tweaking and trials and errors before you get it dialed in, and even then, a professional tuner would probably be able to do better in a matter of a few hours. If you are constantly going to be changing things about your setup, or you are looking to play with it trying to wring out the last few tenths at the track, then tuning yourself is worth learning and investing in all the hardware and software, but for most street cars, it only needs to be done once when done right, and so it is better left to someone who knows what they are doing.

madMickel, Not looking for optimum performance at this point, (a LOT to learn).. There is most likely a "chip"? that is sold that has some enhancements to the Factory program (like fan on sooner, little things)... I'd guess somebody has done this?....Turbo charged a VW sandrail 20+ years ago, no computers back then, waste gate opened @ 12#'s, but I could bypass it....

Ecu swap

Well that's what I was thinking of was modding a wiring harness from a 96+ mustang to work on the SC and use the computer from a mustang and hook up an sct tuner and copy the tube from the SC computer. Than having the shop send me a base tune after data loging. Would be nice to get a safe decent tune before I hit the Dyno. Lots of mods so far. Cammed ported intake heads SC inlet outlet 90mm lightning maf modded f150 5.4 TB headers e85 conversion 355 lph aem pump stage 1 aem meth injection kit water intercooler and saleen mustang heat exchanger with a 03 cobra ic pump. This is all going in my ranger as a prerunner build I've been doing. Got most of the parts ready just finishing the bottom end rebuild at the moment. Mls head gaskets and having the shop resurface the heads. I don't want a factory ecu I like being able to tune and play with my sct .

Back