Thread: Codes/problem Help

Codes/problem Help

I have a problem with my 93' SC and I'm trying to fig. out what the problem is. It seemed like the past month or so the car cuts out for just a split second occasionally while speeding up and building boost. It was not very noticable but bothered me enough to get a code reader (Innova yellow box). I hooked up the scanner, dont remember exactly what codes I got but know it was related to my tps was "under voltage".
    Acouple days ago while driving and speeding up my SC cut out again but this time much harder. It basically felt like it ran out of fuel or spark when I hit the gas. It did this everytime I hit the throttle alittle hard, then I decided to go and get a new tps and installed it being I had those codes. After installing the new tps I starting the car and went around the block and I had the exact same problem engine cold or hot.
    I had another used cam sensor which I switched but that did not help.
    I disconnected the battery for about a hr hoping that would solve the problem. I then drove across the street to the gas station and put fuel in it. I then pulled out of the gas station and gassed it abit hard... BIG NO NO. Problem now got worse, car died now and would not start. I tried about 10 times and then finally started after I turned the ignition off then on again. Limped it home without throttle because if I gassed it, it would die again. The car seems to only restart after dying Only if the ignition gets turned off first, otherwise it will just keep turning over without start. I put the scanner on it again and these are the codes I got.
    With engine off codes are 111-10-212.
    With engine running (did not tap throttle while testing and not sure if I was suppose to) codes I got are 6-10-538.

Also the car idles perfectly until you hit the throttle then rpms will dump and turn off if gassed to hard.

Can someone please help. Thanks

Sounds familiar

My 90 was acting very much like your 93. Many different codes that I was chasing but in the end turned out to be a ground issue at the spout connector located directly behind the DIS module as you're looking at the engine from the front.

Look for a single black wire that has a connection just above the A/C compressor, it had frayed to just a couple of strands and would allow the engine to start and run like yours but under boost when the engine would twist it would loose the

ability to ground.

Thanks for your input fstcoup. I rechecked all the wires (atleast from up top) and they all seem good. My motor mounts are new and im sure my motor is not moving more then it should.
    I was waiting to get a new genuine Ford cam sensor I ordered in the mail before I went back to the SC and start looking at the prob again. The cam sensor I tried wasn't a Motorcraft and It was used so I wasn't sure if it was even good plus I only like to go with factory parts on my rides, especially electronics on this 1. The new Ford cam sensor I installed yesterday didnt make much difference.
    I put the scanner on it again with the car running KOER and got codes 6-10-225. 225 being something related to the knock sensor, so I removed it and it still ran like its cutting out but ran better just driving it around the block. It Idled ok and rpms didnt drop and cut out while gassing the throttle at idle like it did before removing the knock sensor but still cut out driving if I hit the gas more then about 1/2.
    Any ideas? Does it sound like the prob is my knock sensor?
    The knock sensor is hard to find and I dont want to be replacing expensive obsolete parts for this unless I'm sure.
    Also when the car stalls as I described and wont restart because the ignition hasn't been turned off first, my shift light is NOT on while trying to restart. I assume from reading online my Crank sensor is ok then?
    Thank you

Good evening

Start with the simple Checks such as:

1. The DIS module for old/missing heat sink.

2. The harmonic balancer pulley for missing center bolt or the four outer bolts. Look for a "wobble" at idle.

3. The fuel pressure (key on engine off) and at idle (key on engine on). When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

4. The DIS harness. Any clearance problems between the supercharger belt and the cam sensor connector? Any exposed wiring at the two DIS connectors?

5. Vacuum leaks ( "Y" PCV Pipe at the passenger side valve cover to the inlet plenum, PCV, PCV hose to intake inlet hose driver side, intercooler tubing).

6. Grounds and or corrosion. Radiator support. Negative battery cable to engine ground. Passenger side engine bay to engine ground. Fuel pump relay.

Quote Originally Posted by sam jones View Post
    Good evening

Start with the simple Checks such as:

1. The DIS module for old/missing heat sink.

2. The harmonic balancer pulley for missing center bolt or the four outer bolts. Look for a "wobble" at idle.

3. The fuel pressure (key on engine off) and at idle (key on engine on). When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

4. The DIS harness. Any clearance problems between the supercharger belt and the cam sensor connector? Any exposed wiring at the two DIS connectors?

5. Vacuum leaks ( "Y" PCV Pipe at the passenger side valve cover to the inlet plenum, PCV, PCV hose to intake inlet hose driver side, intercooler tubing).

6. Grounds and or corrosion. Radiator support. Negative battery cable to engine ground. Passenger side engine bay to engine ground. Fuel pump relay.
    Hello..
    the DIS module I removed before replacing the cam sensors to inspect the heat sink and it looked ok. The DIS module had been changed at some point (not Motorcraft) before I got the car.

The harmonic balancer spins very straight. SO GLAD for that.

Fuel pressure I haven't checked yet, the fuel filter I replaced recently.

The DIS harnesses and all other plugs and harnesses in the engine compartment are very clean.

No vacuum leaks, I checked recently. Car wont start (if stalled) unless ignition gets turned off first then on.

All grounds should be clean and tight, I Recently replaced the radiator and went thru it thoroughly.

Thinking about this prob. I decided I am going to reinstall the knock sensor and replace the DIS Module next. Hopefully that's the prob. and wont hurt to have a spare. I will prob. order 1 tomorrow. Ill update the results when I get and install it.
    Thanks