2018 SC Shootout Shuffle?

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
So what's the hot scoop on everyone's cars this year? Anyone procrastinating work till the last minute like me? :D Seems like the disappointment caused by the rain-out last year is still looming overhead!

What are the Dalkes up to?
Are are the turboys up to (Casey, Corey, Ken)?
Is Jacob really going to outrun Neibert?
Who are YOU looking to beat this year?
Should I let Danielle race the 35th?
What's the best exhaust setup for an SC?

:confused::confused::confused:

I don't know if we'll have a tow setup arranged this year or not...so we might just our two SC's out there this year....beauty and the beast style. lol

I don't know what my deal is (other than being extremely busy all year), but I've been straight-up lazy with the SC....it runs, it drives, it pulls great....a few little things have made it undesirable to put miles on it - alignment is off, steering issues (likely just air in the system) and the crankcase evac check valves blew out. Seem like pretty lame excuses typing them out. :rolleyes:

You must be getting the itch. To avoid breaking the promise of not going we booked an all inclusive trip during the shootout. I hope you get the rig going I hope new records get broken for the gang so it motivates me to take the long azz trip next year.

Well, here's the plan. The car is running great. It's all polished and ready to go. Oh, wait. That was yesterday. Today the car refused to start. Cranks and cranks but won't start. The Shootout must be getting close.

I am ready, I think?

Well I will be bring a 35th this year. I took it to a cruise night last night and it ran great. We did get a lot of looks at it and people were trying to understand what all was going on with it. :eek:BUT a few things did pop up that I got to look at..:D I am hoping to bring some hardware with it...:p:) Rich

I need to figure out why my car backfires and dies when you take it up to 5500rpm runs fine otherwise... Might be this orielly dis I put on it before the epic drive... Other than that mystery problem I rally don't have to do anything

Well, here's the plan. The car is running great. It's all polished and ready to go. Oh, wait. That was yesterday. Today the car refused to start. Cranks and cranks but won't start. The Shootout must be getting close.

Well, it isn't spark related. We definitely have spark. We got it running today and after about 30 minutes it just quit. After we let it sit it started up again, and then it quit again. It's got to be fuel related. Stinks of bad fuel and running rich. I wonder if it isn't making the conversion from a cold weather car to a hot weather car? I remember there is a sensor that is supposed to take care of that, isn't there. Going to hook up my laptop to the car tomorrow and see what it says about the temperature.

Well, it isn't spark related. We definitely have spark. We got it running today and after about 30 minutes it just quit. After we let it sit it started up again, and then it quit again. It's got to be fuel related. Stinks of bad fuel and running rich. I wonder if it isn't making the conversion from a cold weather car to a hot weather car? I remember there is a sensor that is supposed to take care of that, isn't there. Going to hook up my laptop to the car tomorrow and see what it says about the temperature.

Should just be the MAF and ECT, right? I'm not sure it knows what the outside temperature is any other way.

I need to figure out why my car backfires and dies when you take it up to 5500rpm runs fine otherwise... Might be this orielly dis I put on it before the epic drive... Other than that mystery problem I rally don't have to do anything

This is poopy. The typical pre-Shootout problems that mess up race day! :( Better get it figured out Jacob!

I started and moved my car to mow the grass where it has sat. :eek: I had thought I would get it in the garage once the grass was mowed.....it did not. :eek: :( I've turned into a serious SC bum in the last couple of years!! I did get our Navigator running great finally though (needed the spark plug holes brushed out with solvent :rolleyes:) - so the tow vehicle is ready to go. Just need to line-up the trailer now.

Bring that crap over we can do what needs done! All I have to do is figure out the backfiring thing and clean my car... I am trying to get the ac going in the new shop today so not only do I have light... And a lift... But ac!

This is poopy. The typical pre-Shootout problems that mess up race day! :( Better get it figured out Jacob!

I started and moved my car to mow the grass where it has sat. :eek: I had thought I would get it in the garage once the grass was mowed.....it did not. :eek: :( I've turned into a serious SC bum in the last couple of years!! I did get our Navigator running great finally though (needed the spark plug holes brushed out with solvent :rolleyes:) - so the tow vehicle is ready to go. Just need to line-up the trailer now.

My car was running great when I put the new wheels on it a month or two ago, but when driving it to our new house Sunday, it craps the bed like I'm on the rev limiter every time I try to go wide open throttle. I'm 99% sure it's something with the methanol injection and will try unplugging it. Fingers crossed that is the problem.

David

My car was running great when I put the new wheels on it a month or two ago, but when driving it to our new house Sunday, it craps the bed like I'm on the rev limiter every time I try to go wide open throttle. I'm 99% sure it's something with the methanol injection and will try unplugging it. Fingers crossed that is the problem.

David

I had nothing but problems with methanol! When I went to the front mount I sold my kit and am glad I did. One less thing to worry about!

Should just be the MAF and ECT, right? I'm not sure it knows what the outside temperature is any other way.

Yea well, one would like to think. But if it is that we haven't figured it out yet. It shouldn't be in the tune though. Nothing has changed that would affect that. I'm thinking now that maybe the alternator or battery is overheating and cutting back on the juice to the fuel pump. Still at a loss right now though.

And of course, negotiations continue on me making the trip in the first place

Ira, if you are running a quarter horse you may have a battery problem on the chip. 5 years and they are done. I had the same problem with my 5 speed in the spring. Pulled out the chip and it fired right up on the stock tune. Plug in the laptop and run the car from the laptop and see what happens. Not that I know from crap about tuning but just what has happened to me, with both my cars.
Alan

Ira, if you are running a quarter horse you may have a battery problem on the chip. 5 years and they are done. I had the same problem with my 5 speed in the spring. Pulled out the chip and it fired right up on the stock tune. Plug in the laptop and run the car from the laptop and see what happens. Not that I know from crap about tuning but just what has happened to me, with both my cars.
Alan

Interesting thought. Never thought to check that battery. Is there a way to replace it? Is it a special battery? It's as good as any answer we've been able to come up with.

The two that I had die were a pain. It's one of those batteries that look about the size of a nickel. Moates original chips had the battery spot welded to the chip. Had to send them back for a replacement and now they come with a battery on them that can be replaced. My 5 speed is not modded enough to be seriously affected by running the stock tune. The AOD however, was lost without the chip. Dave D saved me.
Alan

The two that I had die were a pain. It's one of those batteries that look about the size of a nickel. Moates original chips had the battery spot welded to the chip. Had to send them back for a replacement and now they come with a battery on them that can be replaced. My 5 speed is not modded enough to be seriously affected by running the stock tune. The AOD however, was lost without the chip. Dave D saved me.
Alan

Alan, what do you mean when you say turn off the tune. I understand when you say pull the chip. That's should be easy enough, but how do you plug in the laptop and run the tune off the laptop? There's a way to connect the laptop without using the chip?

Alan

New style QH chip/battery fixed my issue......................:D:D

Back