2018 SC Shootout Shuffle?

Ira - Sorry you didn't make it - missed seeing you and several others this past weekend. :(

David N - so you were still having meth problems, right? After swapping controllers? What does the AFR do around the time it starts cutting out? Narrowband sensor readings would probably be more helpful. I wonder if your pump is just worn out?

Chris - very nice SUV you guys have! I saw your brother on Friday night (dark) and wondered why you looked so different than I remembered! lol So...Sara won some SC parts....is that a sign?! :D :D :D Super cute little guy you all have too. :)

David C - missed you too man...the banter is alot more fun when everyone is there. :p

Jacob - you seemed as worn out as I felt yesterday...made some good passes though! need to figure out what was up with the nitrous though....I'm pretty sure that system wasn't working right in some way.

Me - I spent all weekend SHUFLN...finally called it quits after blowing the 4th freeze plug since the new motor. Based on how / when / what temperatures they have happened, I'm not worried about combustion gas in the coolant passages....just need to pull the motor and replace them all at once, before one of the bad ones blow! I made 387rwhp at like 5500rpm with a maxed-out MAF, overly-rich tune, 22deg timing, hot engine, and freeze plug ending the pull early! lol :D Excited to see what a little more timing and alot more RPM has in store. Looks like the blower is still keeping up at 6000+....should be solid combo! Also pulled a 12.75 @ 111mph 1/4mi.....with a 2.0s 60' and granny shift or two....gotta re-adjust my launch apparently...felt like the slicks spun off the line for 20ft....still had about 19psi in them though. Freeze plug blew on that pass too - at the end of the track, we're thinking. Coolant was like 95/5 distilled water / antifreeze at least. Anyway - the new longblock is alot of fun as long as the water stays inside! :)

Matt,

I'm pretty certain that it's an ignition problem. Ran good for one or two rips down the test road across from hotel and made one clean pull on the dyno after putting on another set of plug wires donated by Jacob, but still couldn't use the methanol or it would misfire. Data logging showed 11.7 AFR with methanol off, and when missing starts it turns the logs into a jumbled mess. Even with methanol off at the track it was missing at higher rpms and was really missing bad with meth on, so it never ran better than 11.3 @ 119. It got progressively slower as temps increased because I'm sure it was pulling timing without the methanol on.

Yesterday I ordered a new Motorcraft coil pack, new Livewires plug wires, and a set of NGK 7317 plugs. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

David

The looms that fit the Taylor's will not fit the livewires properly so i recomend bills looms.

Matt,

I'm pretty certain that it's an ignition problem. Ran good for one or two rips down the test road across from hotel and made one clean pull on the dyno after putting on another set of plug wires donated by Jacob, but still couldn't use the methanol or it would misfire. Data logging showed 11.7 AFR with methanol off, and when missing starts it turns the logs into a jumbled mess. Even with methanol off at the track it was missing at higher rpms and was really missing bad with meth on, so it never ran better than 11.3 @ 119. It got progressively slower as temps increased because I'm sure it was pulling timing without the methanol on.

Yesterday I ordered a new Motorcraft coil pack, new Livewires plug wires, and a set of NGK 7317 plugs. Fingers crossed that fixes it.

David

Matt,

David

Yeah...it has to be an iginition problem....exacerbated by the meth injection - not caused by.

Yeah...it has to be an iginition problem....exacerbated by the meth injection - not caused by.

I'm thinking the same, but not 100% certain the stuff I'm changing will fix it because everything was already changed. Just not at the same time and not always with brand new stuff. BTW, If your wondering what a new Motorcraft coil pack sells for it was about $135 plus tax from the local Ford dealer.

David

Well the shuffle stopped me from making the shootout for the first time and I finally got the surge tank leak proofed about an hour ago after pulling it 4 or 5 times for more welding. The bumper is still in the body shop but I was able to make the intercooler modification I have been wanting to make for a couple of years through all of this. Also the car is running on e85 for the first time although a havnt been able to drive it yet lol.20180928_164357.jpg
20180928_164427.jpg
20181003_165747.jpg

Back