2018 SC Shootout Shuffle?

belNwt.jpg

Well my my miss fire is gone.

Yea well, one would like to think. But if it is that we haven't figured it out yet. It shouldn't be in the tune though. Nothing has changed that would affect that. I'm thinking now that maybe the alternator or battery is overheating and cutting back on the juice to the fuel pump. Still at a loss right now though.

And of course, negotiations continue on me making the trip in the first place

Crankshaft pulley. Lousy $35 dollar part. Well we're back on the road again. if and when the rain ever I'll try to get a handle on how the car is running with an eye toward putting it on the dyno this weekend. It hasn't been on in a few years and I'm curious to see what the numbers will be after all this time. I don't know that I'll be able to race though. I don't have any tires.

As far the negotiations are going, the decision maker is beginning to lean in my direction I think.

Last edited:
Crankshaft pulley. Lousy $35 dollar part. Well we're back on the road again. if and when the rain ever I'll try to get a handle on how the car is running with an eye toward putting it on the dyno this weekend. It hasn't been on in a few years and I'm curious to see what the numbers will be after all this time. I don't know that I'll be able to race though. I don't have any tires.

As far the negotiations are going, the decision maker is beginning to lean in my direction I think.

If you are t bird pattern Mike inch will have an extra set of drag tires his wife isn't bringing her car this year. If so shoot me a pm and I will make araingments if not Mike I am sure Dan has extras

Ira Mike will bring his other slicks if you
u can use them I just talked to him they are t bird pattern. Let me know if you want to use them before friday and he will bring them!

[QUOTE=Ira R.; I don't know that I'll be able to race though. I don't have any tires

not to worry my son is bringing a set that he is looking to sell as they no longer fit his car....so you could be an owner....Rich

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to provide tires and extras for me. In fact, the negotiations are complete and I have made the necessary future concessions to help seal the deal. There is but one last problem to overcome - the car won't run. Yea, I know. The car won't run. We replaced the crank pulley and the car started, just as everyone thought it would. So we walked away with the knowledge that we were but an oil change and a car wash away from being ready.

The next morning we started the car, pulled it onto to the rack and changed the oil. Then it wouldn't start. Oh, it cranked but it wouldn't start. In frustration we walked away and let the car sit for the day. The next morning we went out and started the car. Let it idle a bit to heat up the oil, make sure there were no leaks, double check we had the right tune in the car and shut it off. That afternoon it wouldn't start. Oh it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. In a fit we stormed off.

The next morning we went out and started the car. We let it warm up and tried to trouble shoot why it wouldn't start the day before. After a few minutes we shut it off. Then it wouldn't start. Oh, it cranked and cranked but it wouldn't start. Still in that fit, we stormed off again.

Rinse and repeat. We have repeated this routine for several days now and I have no reason why this keeps happening. We have fuel pressure to the rail. Clearly we have air and we have spark, or it wouldn't start in the first place. Tomorrow morning I will begin the routine again, and if it doesn't start the second time I will go looking to see if I still have spark. Perhaps something is functioning properly when its cold but not after it warms up. What can be but spark?

So thank you to all of you, especially Smitty, who has spent hours on the phone with me trying to troubleshoot this and to Mr. Dalke who has been reviewing my lousy tuning skills to insure I didn't turn anything off that should be on.

As for the Shoot Out? Not if the car won't start. Maybe I'll fly out and rent a fast car.

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered to provide tires and extras for me. In fact, the negotiations are complete and I have made the necessary future concessions to help seal the deal. There is but one last problem to overcome - the car won't run. Yea, I know. The car won't run. We replaced the crank pulley and the car started, just as everyone thought it would. So we walked away with the knowledge that we were but an oil change and a car wash away from being ready.

The next morning we started the car, pulled it onto to the rack and changed the oil. Then it wouldn't start. Oh, it cranked but it wouldn't start. In frustration we walked away and let the car sit for the day. The next morning we went out and started the car. Let it idle a bit to heat up the oil, make sure there were no leaks, double check we had the right tune in the car and shut it off. That afternoon it wouldn't start. Oh it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. In a fit we stormed off.

The next morning we went out and started the car. We let it warm up and tried to trouble shoot why it wouldn't start the day before. After a few minutes we shut it off. Then it wouldn't start. Oh, it cranked and cranked but it wouldn't start. Still in that fit, we stormed off again.

Rinse and repeat. We have repeated this routine for several days now and I have no reason why this keeps happening. We have fuel pressure to the rail. Clearly we have air and we have spark, or it wouldn't start in the first place. Tomorrow morning I will begin the routine again, and if it doesn't start the second time I will go looking to see if I still have spark. Perhaps something is functioning properly when its cold but not after it warms up. What can be but spark?

So thank you to all of you, especially Smitty, who has spent hours on the phone with me trying to troubleshoot this and to Mr. Dalke who has been reviewing my lousy tuning skills to insure I didn't turn anything off that should be on.

As for the Shoot Out? Not if the car won't start. Maybe I'll fly out and rent a fast car.
Dis the fail when they get hot.

Well I took mine to buy some things tonight at the local DG and smelled raw fuel. I found the leak but with the fuel system upgrades im going to have to doublecheck everything one more time after i get all the 93 out and fill it with e85

Did some pulls got some goodc logs today got everything lined out. I discovered that my rev limiter was set at 6000rpm? Not anymore 6600 is where it's at might take it 6700 and start shifting at 6500 I have the valve train for it and it's really happy up there.

Dis the fail when they get hot.

David,
I would agree if it was an early model SC, but not a late model. It is mounted on the PS fender unlike the a/c bracket mounting on early models and rarely do these get hot.

I believe Ira is going to have his tested at AZ if the car starts and warms up. For now he is just trying to get it home it is still stuck at the garage after the oil change!

David,
I would agree if it was an early model SC, but not a late model. It is mounted on the PS fender unlike the a/c bracket mounting on early models and rarely do these get hot.

I believe Ira is going to have his tested at AZ if the car starts and warms up. For now he is just trying to get it home it is still stuck at the garage after the oil change!

Got the car home today. Interesting ride. Started right up, crawled out of the parking lot, and headed for the main road. Pulled up to the traffic light and made the left hand u-turn and in the middle of the turn it died. Flat out died, like someone threw a switch. Rolled it to the side of the road where it sat for a minute or two while I had several choice words with it.

Then it started right up, like it never happened, and I drove it home (about 3 miles maybe), cautiously I must say, and pulled it into the garage. Took a quick look under the hood and of course there wasn't much to see. Had to run to work so I didn't get back to it. I plan on pulling the DIS and seeing if the boys at AZ know how to test it, although I don't hold out much hope that they will find anything. It's almost as if something is heating up with the engine and when it does it cuts out. And then when it cools down everything is fine again. But the way it ran in 3rd gear today you would never know there was anything wrong with it.

Damn car...

Ira - Sorry you didn't make it - missed seeing you and several others this past weekend. :(

David N - so you were still having meth problems, right? After swapping controllers? What does the AFR do around the time it starts cutting out? Narrowband sensor readings would probably be more helpful. I wonder if your pump is just worn out?

Chris - very nice SUV you guys have! I saw your brother on Friday night (dark) and wondered why you looked so different than I remembered! lol So...Sara won some SC parts....is that a sign?! :D :D :D Super cute little guy you all have too. :)

David C - missed you too man...the banter is alot more fun when everyone is there. :p

Jacob - you seemed as worn out as I felt yesterday...made some good passes though! need to figure out what was up with the nitrous though....I'm pretty sure that system wasn't working right in some way.

Me - I spent all weekend SHUFLN...finally called it quits after blowing the 4th freeze plug since the new motor. Based on how / when / what temperatures they have happened, I'm not worried about combustion gas in the coolant passages....just need to pull the motor and replace them all at once, before one of the bad ones blow! I made 387rwhp at like 5500rpm with a maxed-out MAF, overly-rich tune, 22deg timing, hot engine, and freeze plug ending the pull early! lol :D Excited to see what a little more timing and alot more RPM has in store. Looks like the blower is still keeping up at 6000+....should be solid combo! Also pulled a 12.75 @ 111mph 1/4mi.....with a 2.0s 60' and granny shift or two....gotta re-adjust my launch apparently...felt like the slicks spun off the line for 20ft....still had about 19psi in them though. Freeze plug blew on that pass too - at the end of the track, we're thinking. Coolant was like 95/5 distilled water / antifreeze at least. Anyway - the new longblock is alot of fun as long as the water stays inside! :)

Last edited:
Best I could tell it was never spraying any nitrous at all only fuel.

Ira - Sorry you didn't make it - missed seeing you and several others this past weekend. :(

David N - so you were still having meth problems, right? After swapping controllers? What does the AFR do around the time it starts cutting out? Narrowband sensor readings would probably be more helpful. I wonder if your pump is just worn out?

Chris - very nice SUV you guys have! I saw your brother on Friday night (dark) and wondered why you looked so different than I remembered! lol So...Sara won some SC parts....is that a sign?! :D :D :D Super cute little guy you all have too. :)

David C - missed you too man...the banter is alot more fun when everyone is there. :p

Jacob - you seemed as worn out as I felt yesterday...made some good passes though! need to figure out what was up with the nitrous though....I'm pretty sure that system wasn't working right in some way.

Me - I spent all weekend SHUFLN...finally called it quits after blowing the 4th freeze plug since the new motor. Based on how / when / what temperatures they have happened, I'm not worried about combustion gas in the coolant passages....just need to pull the motor and replace them all at once, before one of the bad ones blow! I made 387rwhp at like 5500rpm with a maxed-out MAF, overly-rich tune, 22deg timing, hot engine, and freeze plug ending the pull early! lol :D Excited to see what a little more timing and alot more RPM has in store. Looks like the blower is still keeping up at 6000+....should be solid combo! Also pulled a 12.75 @ 111mph 1/4mi.....with a 2.0s 60' and granny shift or two....gotta re-adjust my launch apparently...felt like the slicks spun off the line for 20ft....still had about 19psi in them though. Freeze plug blew on that pass too - at the end of the track, we're thinking. Coolant was like 95/5 distilled water / antifreeze at least. Anyway - the new longblock is alot of fun as long as the water stays inside! :)

Best I could tell it was never spraying any nitrous at all only fuel.

Yep lesson learned there, bottle pressure means nothing, must have some extra weight besides the bottle weight.

I will be getting a small bathroom scale for future events so I don't run into this issue.

Good to see you guys again! Stayed tuned to a new thread for Trans tear down pics and updates!

Back