Lowered SC

1990_NW_SCKid

Hey guys

I haven't been able to find a really good picture of an SC lowered. I was toying with the idea of doing mine, just to get rid of the gaps between the wheel whells and tires, but I wasn't sure how it'd look when it's all done. Also, what are the benefits and disadvantages of lowering it? Thanks all.

Kyle

tbirds.jpg

1990_NW_SCKid said:
Hey guys

I haven't been able to find a really good picture of an SC lowered. I was toying with the idea of doing mine, just to get rid of the gaps between the wheel whells and tires, but I wasn't sure how it'd look when it's all done. Also, what are the benefits and disadvantages of lowering it? Thanks all.

Kyle

There is a bunch of my car at http://www.alistauto.com/mike

Blown 11!!!

Thats the H&R kit isnt it? If i am wrong please correct me but thats the kit i have and i was just gonna post about it if anyone had any pix of they sc with it. Let me know! Thanks

Jayson

Last edited:
Can Tell Because

Because the front is lower then the rear. And the H&R kit is 1.7 front 1.5 rear. It couldnt be the eibach cuz the eibach is 1.5 and the rear is 1.5 so the only way it could have been that is if u cut the front springs. Later on

Jayson

Ahh I didn't know that, when I bought the car it had H&R Lowering springs, :)

Whats the advantage of the front being 1.7 instead of 1.5?

you and me both tazer. i'm shooting for late spring or early summer if all goes well. i have a couple things in store for everyone. muhhhhaaaa

here is a pic with jamex 2" lowering springs.

Attachments

• untitled-1.jpg
    untitled-1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 368
Argh, I truly need to lower my car if I decide to keep it.... Too bad Jamex doesn't make springs anymore.. That means I need to buy some ST's and cut some coils off of them

Here are my pics yet again..cars filthy but yall get the Idea..These are S/T 1.5 inch lowering springs with a 245/45/17 tire. In my opinion its way too low I already smashed on of my cats..Rattle rattle..Going to a 255/50/17 inch tire..I think that will make me happy and fill in the wheelwells a bit...So here they are

car.jpg

front.jpg

rear.jpg

plate.jpg

So that's what H&R's are surpose to look like.. :) SWEET...

Now if the front ever sits that low i'll be happy..

Everyone has an opinion, but it's real simple if you just stop and think for a second, if you have x number of coils on a spring rating at y pounds per square inch, and you cut say 1 1/4 coils out, then your car is lower but your left with an increased spring rate because now your coils have less area to travel for spring compression thus increasing your spring rate. You do however, loose some of your progressive spring rate, depending upon the number of coils you cut, but any bouncy bouncy as i see some call it, are only caused by your shocks/struts. And your negative camber would still be the same rather you cut your springs for 2 inch drop or used "profesional" lowering springs. (/ \), 30 bucks to have them realigned takes care of most of that.

So with all my choices and situation for me personally, I'm cutting my springs, hopefully this weekend if I get the right response I need. (hint hint :))

I want a 2 inch drop in front, and 1 1/2 in rear (rear sags now due to trunk wieght) I need to know exactly how much coil to cut for that desired look. Someone whos done it, if you dont know exact, then say you cut 1 1/2 coil and got a 2 inch drop, then it's not difficult to guess that 1 1/4 coil cut would give a 1 3/4 drop. it's on a 94 sc. 3.8

I'm not a carpenter and havnt lowered before, but I can grasp concepts. I've been told that all I have to do is jack the front under the arm so you fully compress the spring, rent or buy some spring clamps, install them leaving the bottom couple of coils free, release jack onto jackstands off the arm to release spring compression (that way you have access without pressure to cutting) cut the desired amount of coil off the bottom (angle grinder with correct blade and friend squirting water to limit heat tranfer), rotate spring to align cut with perch (you do have to make 1 extra cut to cut the left oil coil in half to get it off),jack the arm again, release spring clamps, drop her back down and your done. its not that easy is it, just pop off a tire and begin cutting???? I need step by step instructions if you can gents. I appreciate it. hell, I'll even create a digital slideshow so you guys dont have to keep answering this for everyone.

thanks alot guys.

I'm talking about cutting the springs in place, not removing anything but the tire.

also, someone was asking about coilovers somewhere, well, twisteddynamics.8m.com/coilovers claims they have em, model dz2200co, also dropzonesuspension.com also carries lowering springs for 101 bucks, 1 1/2 lowering on both apps.

The gap will also depend of course on your tire diameter ... my car is only down about 1.5" with the Eibach kit, but it has a nice even gap all the way around the tires because I ended up going with 255-45-18 tires, a bit taller than stock at 27.0".

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

This is a picture of my 95 SC with H&R springs and BFG 255-50-ZR16"Comp TA's. I don't think the front sits lower than the back.

Last%20Pic.jpg

lostsoul,

a couple things to keep in mind. if you jack the arm up and fully compress the spring, you won't be able to get the spring compressor on it. it clamps betweent the coils. also, i would not use water to reduce the heat. get some oil designed for cutting, it will work better. you may not have enough room to get in there and do all the work.

thanks wicked, not enough room, refering the back I assume, front looks easy, havnt gottin under her to see the rear though, but going on the set up I had mentioned, can I do it that way on the rear. enough room to get in there??
yea, I would leave enough space for the clamps, leaving the bottom 2 coils free to cut half at a time so I can slide the coil off when I'm done.

Back