plastic harmonic balancer shroud/cover

fhrrmc

I am in the process of replacing the harmonic balancer. I am almost finished buttoning up when I realized I did not put the plastic shroud back in place. Is this cover necessary for proper operation? I am specifically concerned that the Crank Position Sensor will not function correctly. The crummy Haynes manual I have doesn't even show it as part of the assembly.

I am in the process of replacing the harmonic balancer. I am almost finished buttoning up when I realized I did not put the plastic shroud back in place. Is this cover necessary for proper operation? I am specifically concerned that the Crank Position Sensor will not function correctly. The crummy Haynes manual I have doesn't even show it as part of the assembly.

AFAIK, the shroud is to protect the sensor from water (temperature shock) and debris. The sensor will work without it, but the risk is early fail over time.

If this is an early SC, the sensors are hard to find now, even good used, so I'd want to do what I could to keep yours healthy.

Ken

The crummy Haynes manual I have doesn't even show it as part of the assembly.

Pop over to either HelmINC.COM or to Ebay, and pick up the factory service manual for your year TBird.

While there, grab the Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM).

RwP

Back