flickering headlights

fhrrmc

I have a series of problems with my headlights and fog lights. At first my high beams would flicker on and off when the fog lamps where on. One day the high beams just no longer came on (at the same time my wipers wouldn't come on so I replaced the switch at the steering column. I ultimately discovered they are independent problems). Then sometime later the low beams started flicking on and off when the fog lamps where turned on so I no longer tried to turn them on. Now the low beams have started to flicker on and off after driving with them on for 20 or 30 minutes. Is this a wiring, bulb, alternator or a relay issue? It almost seems like a diode somewhere is opening and closing when it gets hot?

Does anyone know where I can get a Competition Limited headlight wiring harness. The link does not appear to be a good one anymore.

Last edited:
The problem is in your light switch on the dash most likely.

When you have a look it is most likely melted. Unfortunately Ford shunts full voltage through that switch and the wire gauge is really not big enough to support it.

Many have rewired their lights to external relays. you can search that and see how it was done. When I did that I picked up almost 2 volts at the headlight if I recall correctly.

When you have a look it is most likely melted. Unfortunately Ford shunts full voltage through that switch and the wire gauge is really not big enough to support it.

Many have rewired their lights to external relays. you can search that and see how it was done. When I did that I picked up almost 2 volts at the headlight if I recall correctly.

Thank You, this makes total sense.

To get to the switch, you'll need to pull the cluster surround, at least. Might help to pull the two-piece bezel at the steering wheel to gain a bit of room, first. Might also help to move the cluster out as well...

Once you can see the flange/panel that the switch is mounted in, a tip off would be the amount of white powdery like substance below the switch itself.

The switch knob is press-on, but the small metal keeper that sits inside the plastic knob, and catches on a cut in the metal shaft, needs to be released from the back to best help not do any damage...tricky, tho. Try a tiny flat bladed screw driver or an angled dentist's pick.

Good luck.

not sure here

I have had the same issue on one of my 1990's for a while now. I changed out the switch and the issue was still there. so I took a switch out of another car and swapped them. The issue was still there in the first car?? Good luck and please let me know if you get it worked out. right now I only drive that car during the day time to be safe....rich

Next stop is the multifunction switch where the high beam wiring is routed through.

Sean

Since you have an issue with wipers and brights I would say it’s more likely the multifunction switch vs the regular headlight switch. Headlight switch would more than likely effect all exterior lights not just the brights.

Back