Future of the SC Shootout

While I would support Rich taking over and hosting the Shootout or Midwest Bash, I'm not putting a roll bar in my SC either, but I don't have a problem slowing it down to 11.50 if necessary. Most tracks I've been to aren't real strict on the roll bar at 11.49 rule since the NHRA rules were changed about 3 or 4 years ago to allow 2009 and newer cars to run as quick as 10.00 or 134.9 mph without a roll bar or harness. Now going 9.99 or 135 is where most tracks get strict about the roll bar and harness safety rules. Even if they are going to be super strict on the rules, I would still attend.

David

I want to thank everyone who is getting behind this plan.

First off I want to thank everyone for starting to get behind this plan. The big question I have is do we keep the name going or go with the mid west bash? I am open to either idea. Next thing is there a time of the year that works better for everyone? I think that if we stay in the fall we may want to move it up just a bit as it does get cold around here sooner. this morning it was 34 and SNOW was falling in some places.... Just want to get all this out there for everyone to please add their input.... So please chime in here please... One side note I do NOT go on face book to post as a rule so lets talk here. That will work best for me......Rich

Rich I threw out something like calling it the Force Fed V-6 Armageddon! LOL Especially if we are going to have others with V-6 and other Power adders (Turbo, Pro charger etc;) to the event.

or just V-6 Armageddon! don't want to purposely leave anyone out honestly.

I just want top race. I also mentioned doing a format like they do on Street Outlaws and everyone just pick a number and race the person that picks the same number!
Straight heads up racing, run what you brung for fun! Should be easy to manage that way. Even if you lose, just pick another number next round and race someone different.

If you end up racing the same person, just swap with someone else! No big deal. we are there for fun and to get your best time possible, who cares who it is against!

Hell I was looking forward to racing Brian, Siska and Dave N. this year. I would have lost in there somewhere,but it would have been fun watching and racing!

When it comes close to finishing the event any one with no loses should pick a number and lets those folks race it out for the top dog spot??

Thoughts?

As far a timing goes the fall is definitely better for me, any time after mid August.

I'll be there no matter what but fall is best.

That drag strip is only 2 hours away form me and that would make me being able to attend much more likely. I do believe there was some kind of accident there recently where someone lost their life. Because of that I have read they are much more strict about checking cars and letting them onto the track. I could double check the chicago garage forums i am a part of to make sure that was the track the accident happened on.

That drag strip is only 2 hours away form me and that would make me being able to attend much more likely. I do believe there was some kind of accident there recently where someone lost their life. Because of that I have read they are much more strict about checking cars and letting them onto the track. I could double check the chicago garage forums i am a part of to make sure that was the track the accident happened on.

Check to see if they change any of the rules for when they run open street racing nights. The run what you brung type nights when they open the track up to pretty much anybody. If they don't tighten up those rules chances are they aren't going to bother with anything else until they get down to the serious racing programs.

months of oct/nov

Check to see if they change any of the rules for when they run open street racing nights. The run what you brung type nights when they open the track up to pretty much anybody. If they don't tighten up those rules chances are they aren't going to bother with anything else until they get down to the serious racing programs.

those months it is run what you brung. they are working real hard to get the kids off the street and by now all the big racing is over for the year... I have a meeting planned for wed night with the track people to see what we can work out. the one good thing with this place is they all know me and are willing to work with me for something like this. so lets see what I can work out with them this week....Rich

was not here.

The last people killed at the track were from a shooting last year. the last driver was in a jet car in I think 1989, the only other guy was a photo guy who was not where he belonged, that was a bunch of years ago as well.. The track has had a great record from all the racing that goes on there....Rich

those months it is run what you brung. they are working real hard to get the kids off the street and by now all the big racing is over for the year... I have a meeting planned for wed night with the track people to see what we can work out. the one good thing with this place is they all know me and are willing to work with me for something like this. so lets see what I can work out with them this week....Rich

Thanks Rich. You know what you're doing, so I'm sure you will get whatever they are willing to give.

Remember my helmet and fire jacket is 10 years old and they still fit! LOL

great news we are good to race with a few issues

I have been working with the track and I got great news to bring to the table... They are willing to work with us for this event as long as we act like adults.. If you have a question please P.M. me to talk about it... But we are good for a date in late Setp. of next year......Rich:D:D

First off I want to thank everyone for starting to get behind this plan. The big question I have is do we keep the name going or go with the mid west bash? I am open to either idea. Next thing is there a time of the year that works better for everyone? I think that if we stay in the fall we may want to move it up just a bit as it does get cold around here sooner. this morning it was 34 and SNOW was falling in some places.... Just want to get all this out there for everyone to please add their input.... So please chime in here please... One side note I do NOT go on face book to post as a rule so lets talk here. That will work best for me......Rich
I was surprised to see what they consider the midwest I didnt think the cold north was considered mid anything but boy was I wrong.

Last edited:
The last people killed at the track were from a shooting last year. the last driver was in a jet car in I think 1989, the only other guy was a photo guy who was not where he belonged, that was a bunch of years ago as well.. The track has had a great record from all the racing that goes on there....Rich

Oh I totally forgot about the shooting thing. That is probably why I said there was an accident there. But the accident I was talking about actually happened at Byron Dragway in June 2017. That dragstrip is the one that was being very strict since then. Sorry about that mix up.

Here's my thoughts.

Let's go back to the simplicity of the first SC Shootout.

Mountain Park Dragway KY
Sunday Racing
SCCoA Donation
Minimum of 10 Racers/Spectators paying a $200 flat fee
Fee must by paid by X date
No trophies
Hotel and meals are on yourself
T-Shirts are extra

Nothing wrong with Rich's event or going in that direction. This is just an alternative and gives the racers a rented track all to themselves.

Here's my thoughts.

Let's go back to the simplicity of the first SC Shootout.

Mountain Park Dragway KY
Sunday Racing
SCCoA Donation
Minimum of 10 Racers/Spectators paying a $200 flat fee
Fee must by paid by X date
No trophies
Hotel and meals are on yourself
T-Shirts are extra

Nothing wrong with Rich's event or going in that direction. This is just an alternative and gives the racers a rented track all to themselves.

I think we would be better off joining with another groups track rental. 10 cars is likely all we would get and not worth renting the track for. Not to mention its pretty lame to race yourself the whole time you are there. Anything less than 100 cars is not at all crowded at a facility like that.

you guys work it out.

my plan is simple and it gives us the room to move in any way we want. we are at a track that would be running other stuff, BUT when we want to run our group we get the track ALL to our own. During the other times there would be racing going on and if we want to pick someone to try we can. The idea is simple, cost friendly, and workable. Sur it is in wis, but hell it is a plan that can work and it would be a lot less money to put on...
Let me know what you all come up with and if you want to go another way then I will just do something up here and see how it plays out....rich

Would love to see this move a little more East. 15+hr 1k miles wasn't always in the cards from a timing perspective for myself going to Clay City. Now with the location potentially in WI, that really narrows down the possibility (this would be 17hr, 1,200miles for me).

Last edited:
Would love to see this move a little more East. 15+hr 1k miles wasn't always in the cards from a timing perspective for myself going to Clay City. Now with the location potentially in WI, that really narrows down the possibility (this would be 17hr, 1,200miles for me).

I'm not sure if you looked at an actual route but the location is in SE WI.....I don't think the drive is any further for me from CT than KY was.

I'm not sure if you looked at an actual route but the location is in SE WI.....I don't think the drive is any further for me from CT than KY was.

I tossed it quickly in google. Either way, it's a long journey. That being said, obviously the shootout can't cater to everyone's location but figured I'd chime in to express what would make it more attractive to me to attend.

Back