Future of the SC Shootout

if this is the choice..

I vote for doing the Midwest Bash hosted by Rich up in WI, and drop the SC Shootout name.

David

I will go with the flow... The name is just that.. The most important part of this is to put on a great show for everyone to enjoy. We have a place to cruise to, we have a dyno, and a race track that will work with us.. these are all important things and now I will get to work on filling out the rest of the weekend... Ask if you have anything you need to know and lets make this another GREAT event for ALL of us.. let us put aside all the other issues and make this something that will last for some time... So how about it?? does anyone have anything they want to add?? or take out?? Please let me know....Rich:D

I've always been good with Rich's event so I wasn't trying to say go my way instead of Rich's. I do think that if SCCoA is still offering a donation then we should try to work with that while it's available. That's why I purposed what I purposed. Keep the SCCoA donation and keep the track rental.

I'm just speaking for myself but if I had to choose, I would rather pay $200 and have unlimited track access then pay $20-$50 and race when that time comes. I understand that others may not feel that way and that's ok.

Nothing wrong with either option so we'll just go with what people want to do.

The future of the SC Shootout through my eyes.
I don’t have much skin in the shootout game, but let me give you my .02 cents. I am not the guy that went to every single one of them, a lot of times it was because I did not have a SC that was ready, but I am also not the guy that that missed it every year. But an important note is, I was either number 1st in long distance recognition or second. But this is coming from a guy that drives his SC to the events, and have broken down on every other Carlisle show trip. With that said, what motivated me the most to attend? To me, one, it was a chance to level the playing field. Throughout the year most people did modifications and ran their cars locally and provided their results. But only to be faced with scepticism from fellow members, things like elevation, track prep, humidity, dyno calibrations (corrected or uncorrected) (Mustang vs dyno jet) etcetera. Second reason was showing off my junk, when ready and had something new or exciting to talk about, otherwise I was not interested. Last although important, the company meaning seeing the club members we BSd with over the year. But in reality I was never able to get to get to the level needed to stay competitive, drag racing has never been my priority for my car and although I like going quick and fast, the thought of buying a trailer, safety gear buying slicks/line locks has always been second priority. But I raced, and chanced failure, 16 hours from home, just to say I did it, comparing MPH with the best of them. 60fts, reaction times, launching that’s all grass roots racing which I was never a part of in my neck of the woods, but I conformed, for the sake of competing ran it and changed it and in the end had good time. But fast forward now, our cars got old and expensive to fix and with limited parts availability. I can’t be doing the things I did when the cars were 10 years old, some are now 30yo, we can’t just walk into an AutoZone and send it. It requires to be fully ready, own a trailer most times and become a semi-professional track racer, Jacob excluded. The fire at last year’s shootout made me realize that “anything” can happen and it’s simply not worth it subjecting the car to the abuse 16 hours away from home, couple that with insurance not paying out during competitive events and one can see how the format of the event becomes less attractive. I do agree that any type of competition will be fun and will abuse the car one way or another but I almost feel that those semi-professional SC owners have now become a handful and more owners have fallen into my dilemma. As it becomes expensive to soup up an SC, you can see the young/new owner are just trying to maintain and keep their classic car running, the idea of modifying their cars is nice but it’s simply not priority when you have harmonic balancers breaking, DIS and ignitions failing, and shot paints and rotted lower quarter panels. There is only so much a new set of chrome speedstars can do to a car with sun baked paint job. So to me it’s no surprise that competition among ourselves is in now in the rear-view. I commend those that want to keep it going, but the ¼Mile racing format IMO has run its course if only among us. Extending the invitation to other clubs and models would be starting the event from scratch, but as time goes by you will see polarization of the cars, semi-professionals against stock hellcats or supercharged v8 birds or are the turbo SC going to step it up and save the day? And what about the 14-13s super coupe guys? and who will those be running against what a 13s stock Camry?
All this brings me to my next point. For me to get excited it has to be a larger event similar to Carlisle Fords Nationals and include things like dyno competition and also not so hardcore competitions like ½ mile racing on street tires etc. or a larger autocross/road course event, and while the real car show cars will stay away from these competitions, it is friendly for the average Joe to have fun with their semi stock sc.
As an alternative the Epic Drive might need to evolve into just that, because most classic cars eventually fall into the rally or car show event type category so the owners have a relaxing and enjoyable time when attending. $.02
I hope the influential people can put something together but those are my thoughts.

Hi Josh here (Coyote swapped Tbird on FB),

I'm mostly on Facebook so I rarely visit the forums anymore. I wish I could have made it to the past Shootouts but work, military and family events always seem to take precedence. I made it to the 2007 and 2011 Shootouts and had a blast. Never got a trophy but just being there and enjoying seeing MN12's and FN10's and talking to other owners is the biggest trophy award. I really hope we can make something work for the future. That being said, I'm in Milwaukee too. Rich if you need help with anything to organize another Mid-West Bash or some sort of Shootout please let me know, you have my number. Your family and Scott have always been friendly and more than accommodating in the past.

hey Josh

Glad to here from you on this. Yes I would be more than happy to work with you. I have already talked with the dyno guy as well as the race track. The thing I have to do is pick a date that will work for everyone. I am thinking something in sept for a date but that is still open. I am hoping for some input from others as to the best time and then we can get this all put together. I already got a couple of hotels willing to work with us as well. So lets see what we can put together here and like I said, I would really like to hear from some others in the sccoa group....Rich

here are a couple of dates so what does everyone think...??

here are a few dates to think about.... sept 8th, sept 22nd or sept 29th.... I would love to hear some input from those that would want to go... so please let me know so we can lock this all up....Ricch

update. dates

Well it looks like the weekend of the 22nd of sept.. so everyone put the weekend of sept 20th to the 22nd of sept... see everyone then.. watch for more updates as well as what we have planned for this party....rich

Well it looks like the weekend of the 22nd of sept.. so everyone put the weekend of sept 20th to the 22nd of sept... see everyone then.. watch for more updates as well as what we have planned for this party....rich

Address for the track and hotel? Would like to check the route and mileage I will have from Nebraska

Ken

here you go

Address for the track and hotel? Would like to check the route and mileage I will have from Nebraska

Ken

the race track is Great Lakes Dragaway union grove wis. the hotel will be near by at hy 20 $ I-94 we are still putting the hotel deal together as there are a few hotels there to work with.
Now the good part.. the track is 15 mins away from the hotels and the dyno is also 15 mins away in the other way. The sat night cruise is 10 mins away if we want to do that instead of a dinner?? Now all of this is on the freeway so it is easy to move around.. Hope this helps you all out.. There will be more to come in the coming months so everyone can plan and make time for their vacation time....Rich

Very cool of you making this happen and not letting the Shootout die out completely!!!

Way to go Rich!!

the race track is Great Lakes Dragaway union grove wis. the hotel will be near by at hy 20 $ I-94 we are still putting the hotel deal together as there are a few hotels there to work with.
Now the good part.. the track is 15 mins away from the hotels and the dyno is also 15 mins away in the other way. The sat night cruise is 10 mins away if we want to do that instead of a dinner?? Now all of this is on the freeway so it is easy to move around.. Hope this helps you all out.. There will be more to come in the coming months so everyone can plan and make time for their vacation time....Rich

Looks like about 8 hrs away for me so thats a big plus

Ken

Rich,

Please make a separate post in the SCCoA events forum announcing this meet and I will make it sticky, so more people will see it.

Thanks, David

Old Newby looking for the Shootout

I put my car away for sometime now but did decided to finish it. Found my old login to find the next shootout and it seems I missed it!! Is it done for good now, was that the last one? Is am only 20 minutes from Milwaukee, I cant believe I was 2 months late!

fear not we got you covered

Not to worry, we got you covered. everything you would have liked will be still around for this coming year. we may add a few things as well as to mix things up a bit. stay tuned for more....Rich

I really miss the shootout. I wish we could have another one this year now that things are getting back to some kind of normal.

Back