Air filter dust shield

Hey,
I made a rough Duck Tape & cardboard pizza-box template. Between my pizza box and the image of Magnum Performance’s air filter heat shield, I will move on to making a rough heat shield out of scrap metal. The height of the vertical wall that divides the air filter from the radiator/engine area will be tricky to make exact. So, I will make my metal one close but a little under-sized so that it will fit, but then I will tape straws or cardboard to it and see about how much more clearance I have with the hood shut. Then I will make a more refined prototype.

Once I make a pretty precise and solid prototype, I will try to develop a process where I can make several finished heat shields relatively easily.

-Rick_Leuce

Hey,
I made a rough Duck Tape & cardboard pizza-box template. Between my pizza box and the image of Magnum Performance’s air filter heat shield, I will move on to making a rough heat shield out of scrap metal. The height of the vertical wall that divides the air filter from the radiator/engine area will be tricky to make exact. So, I will make my metal one close but a little under-sized so that it will fit, but then I will tape straws or cardboard to it and see about how much more clearance I have with the hood shut. Then I will make a more refined prototype.

Once I make a pretty precise and solid prototype, I will try to develop a process where I can make several finished heat shields relatively easily.

-Rick_Leuce

If you are able to get a drawing made up of one there are a couple of places that could bang them out for you. It could be a group buy thing to keep the price down on it if there was enough interest.

Protocase is local to me and do very good work. https://www.protocase.com

Another option would be Prototek. A former employer of mine used them for some stuff and they did a nice job. https://www.prototek.com

These places could probably also make up a replacement for the brake dust shields as well that seem to be hard to come by.

Last edited:
The tricky part will be to measure and actually make a blueprint. I will probably need to keep making little tweaks and test-fitting until I get it right. I’m particularly concerned about making the vertical wall too tall; and having someone put a dent in their hood because there wasn’t enough clearance. I really wished I could “cheat” and reverse engineer one that was already made, but I’ll just make mine a tad smaller than I know it could be just to be safe. I’ll see if I can fabricate a rough one tomorrow or on Friday. I want to try to make some progress on it over the weekend. I’ll even try to design it so that some parts can be unbolted and adjusted (like the flange surrounding the air tube). I’ll send pics of what I do over the weekend.

I don't know about anyone else, but I had a slightly rough Friday the 13th.

Thankfully, I was still able to get a decent scrap of metal that could be used for my prototype makeshift air shield. It's a little big, so I'll need to cut off some material in a couple areas and I'll need to cut out the oval-shaped hole for air to come through (don't expect it to be pretty). I'll post pictures of it this weekend; hopefully installed in my car. I may even have my brother weld a small flange that hugs around the tube right in front of the coolant overflow tank, like the one from MP.

I'll also try replacing my upper control arms and tie rod ends this weekend (and possibly after work all this week).

-Rick Leuce

MP made one years and years ago, but it was made for a 95 and didn't fit early model cars well. So they discontinued it. I was in your position a few years later wanting a new, better design, so I got a hold of Charles and he and I worked together to design the one he sold over the past several years. I made all the templates up from cardboard and prototyped several until we had it right. But, Bill never promoted that one since he was already offering his plastic shrouded thing that was actually made for a Mustang and whatever, so eventually Charles just stopped making any. Part of the problem with Charles' that I designed is simply that it was made from metal and rusted badly no matter what you tried to do with it. So my point is, seems a shame to redesign something that has already been done more than once. What would be really cool and would actually sell would be a molded plastic box that actually fits the inner fender like what they offer for new cars.

So, anyone know anyone who does molding like that?

What would be really cool and would actually sell would be a molded plastic box that actually fits the inner fender

You mean like the one that came with the SCs from the factory?

airbox02__59395.1483412719.jpg

I still have mine, but it's in a box. I have one of the metal ones you helped design (thanks!), painted to slow rusting. Neighbor asked the other day if the CAI helps...told him it lets me hear the supercharger spin up better, so...

3D printing could be an option for making the plastic boxes. If not the for the whole thing then maybe just the tricky parts and then combine it with some machined or sheet metal parts depending on the economics and design.

Making a wooden mould could work too and be used with fibreglass, carbon fibre etc.

Smooth-On makes lots of products for mould making and casting out a variety of materials including harder ones such as epoxies and resins. I've used some of their stuff at work for a few different things it works well.

Last edited:
Back