What is the GFX?

cougarxr7

My rear passenger drain line in clogged.
KMT posted in this thread about the GFX.

"KMT said, On my '90 SC, the rear drain isn't directly visible. It's buried inside the foam that you can see when you remove the GFX in front of the wheel. Mine was blocked from road debris/mud that built up on the inside of the plastic GFX. Couple screws/pins hold it in place if you want to inspect."

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ssenger-side-floor&highlight=front+roof+drain

Last edited:
I know that was fast!
Thanks!
Not sure if my cougar has GFX.
I still cannot find the drain at the bottom of the car.
A pic would help alot here.

Right, the 1990 XR7 doesn't have those side pieces. That just means they are already out of the way. The tubes drain into the foam up inside the rocker, a few inches ahead of the wheel well edge. Looks like a small opening in the pinch weld. ----------O----

Pics were in this thread, but that was 9 yrs. ago. That post talks about how to find the location inside with the rear seat and side panel out, so you might want to check there, then follow it back up as far as you can into the roof.

I'll try to find images, but...on my car, I couldn't see the actual tube, just the wet area in the foam insulation where it exited.

You might want to drip water from the moonroof frame in that corner to help locate it, but if it's plugged be careful what you use to clear it....too much compressed air or getting too aggressive with a probe might dislodge the tube inside the roof and you'll hate life if that happens. If you use compressed air, do it from the top down...if you do it from the bottom, any junk will try to go inside the car and that stuf is nasty.

See this thread with pics of just the roof...http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?133402-Sunroof-drain-lines&highlight=moonroof+drains

Thanks KMT!
I saw that thread with the cut roof top, very interesting!
So that line drains into the rocker panel, shame they could not have made it long enough to find it better underneath the car.
I had another 90 Cougarxr7 that did not have a sunroof. I had removed the rear side panels to work on the seat belt.
I remember the foam in the side panel area but of course that car did not have drain lines,
and I do not remember seeing any foam in the rocker panels, will look closer on this car.

Back