New-to-me 35th 5-speed.

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So, I bought this 35th, my dream 35th, from a fellow long-time SCCoA member at the end of last year. It’s a fully loaded 35th 5speed. In the past I owned a one-owner 35th, but it was not fully loaded. So I sold that and always wanted another one. I saw a very vague post about the previous owner of this 35th alluding at wanting to sale…so…I contacted him. We talked and…wham, bam! Next thing you know, I was on my way to NY State to pick it up. So I can finally check this one from my dream car list.

The car has 56,xxx miles and loaded with the works: Side bumper lights, JBL Premium sound with CD Unit, electric antenna, VMM, sunroof, keyless entry, keyless entry, VMM, auto lamps and auto-dim. It’s a very decent car with lots of potential for restoration. It even still as the original plastic-tank radiator (which will get replaced soon so I can keep an original early rad in the parts bin).

As is my tradition, I’ll use this post to track the repairs and progress. This will also give me a chance to catalogue and document the plethora of 35th anniversary memorabilia I’ve accumulated since I was introduced to the SC back in 1999 with the purchase of Mustafa, my first car and first Super Coupe.

Almost a year in, about 4k miles driven and I’ve done a few things.
• Replaced cowl pieces with good condition ones
• Replaced VMM with good working NOS unit (although it’s the 93 version with the button until I can source a period-correct one with no button)
• Added an OEM NOS set of 35th front mats from my stash
• Added an OEM NOS set of rear black mats
• Replaced keys with two OEM sets of 35th keys and matching keychains
• Added 35th pen to the sliding storage tray in dash
• Lubed seat tracks
• Replaced under engine “cardboard” cover with the correct “wing nuts”
• Refurbed both window motors since both failed on me
• Redid the glue on both windows and lubed the tracks
• Added NOS set of wheel locks
• Replaced ABS accumulator
• Replaced both ABS relays with NOS OEM relays
• Replaced the ignition switch with a new Motorcraft unit.
• Added 145mph with correct mileage
• Replaced all cluster bulbs with new GE 194 bulbs. Original bulbs appear to be GE’s so I was able to source some new ones.

Things still to do are:

• Reattach rear view mirror
• Add original sticker to brake fluid reservoir
• Replace battery with Motorcraft battery
• Fix AC and replace all AC components with Motorcraft NOS units
• Replace radio head unit with a good working OEM unit (hopefully with AUX in capability)
• Fix drivers side key lock which stopped working (something broke, still don’t know what)
• Add gizmo and 94+ components to have an OEM keyless entry system
• Replace current oil pan bolt with a correct Ford bolt
• Fix sunroof air deflector which, as usual, doesn’t lift up when sunroof is opened
• Full fluid flushes (supercharger, steering, brake, trans, diff, coolant)
• Full Tune up with all Motorcraft pieces (Plugs, wires, AIC valve, PVC valve, air, oil, and fuel filters)
• Replace clutch interlock switch, plastic bracket and clip since the bracket always seems to break at the worst times. Of course, new Motorcraft switch and the bluetongue replacement bracket from TbirdSC shop
• Replace cooling system: radiator with NOS unit if I can find it, rad cap (still deciding if I want to use my NOS rad cap with the rivets!), thermostat with Motorcraft unit, and all coolant hoses (also deciding if I should use my stash of NOS hoses)
• Replace battery cables with used set so I can save these since they’re still in decent shape (thinking of replicating the terminals so the cables look factory and not resort to what we all do and use aftermarket terminals)
• Add quick out-of-sight connection somewhere along the battery cables to use my Ctek charger to keep the battery charged
• Replace subwoofer speaker
• Replace starter with Motorcraft unit
• Ripper shifter with adjustable MGW shifter handle
• Replace suede seats with the spare set I have from a 29k mile 35th that suffered an early unfortunate demise
• Adjust or replace ebrake cable which is currently INOP
• Replace door striker rubber grommets
• Eibach lowering kit
• Remove front tag bracket to show “SC” in front bumper
• Fix the yellowing in the rear bumper black stripe
• Send it to get a good detail inside, out and engine
• And then…enjoy the crap out of it :)

That should be enough for the next year or two, then I plan to take the engine appart and do lots of powdercoating, cleaning, replace water pump, timing cover, add BHJ balancer, new Motorcraft CAM & Crank sensors, pulleys, belts, motor mounts, etc. For now, I’ve been driving it daily for about a month.

On to some pix! This is when I picked up the car.

Let the goodies begin!

Last edited:
This is a good replacement cartridge for the original 35th pen

This is good stuff for reattaching the window glass to the clips. You have to be quick about it though. And you must attach the clips to the glass first…then install the window into the tracks with the clips already glued in.

When I did the window clips and motors I had to get creative to keep the plastic cover intact. Most SC’s don’t even have this cover anymore.

This is how my original ignition switch came out:

Gunky relay connectors:

After a nice clean:

Landed this actuator for the fuel door. I’ve gotta source the other parts and install it in mine that has the manual door.

As she sits now:

Last edited:
Sweet! Congrats! :D

Your attention to the details always amazes me! :eek:

I'm sure it will be a real beauty before too long in your hands!

SC 35th - 5-SPEED

CAIFANSC
Great car, wish you the best of luck. I am in dire need of a 1990 SC CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. my car is laid up in an auto repair shop. With your experience can you direct me to a source were I can obtain this item new or used. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ASPEDT2

Sweet! Congrats! :D

Your attention to the details always amazes me! :eek:

I'm sure it will be a real beauty before too long in your hands!

Thank you kindly, sir!

CAIFANSC
Great car, wish you the best of luck. I am in dire need of a 1990 SC CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. my car is laid up in an auto repair shop. With your experience can you direct me to a source were I can obtain this item new or used. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ASPEDT2

If you're looking for OEM MOtorcraft parts, try Rock auto or ebay. If you're looking for aftermarket pieces, they should have the crank sensor at your local parts house (Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc)

Looking good! Glad it went to a good home and your enjoying it. Thinking of putting the 95 up for sale..

Enjoying it thoroughly man! Thanks! I did just see the auction for your 95. What a beaut!

Back