Steering jam

Lower IC tube and bracket

Tube is out! Wish it didn't have to go back in again. The fastener on the tube and the bracket next to the engine mount can be seen in the photos.

20181121_185000.jpg

20181121_185052.jpg

Thought I remembered someone on here having a steering issue and their column or coupling seized or something happened to it. I know mine was very rusty before I cleaned it up

OK, interesting. My coupling feels more like mushy or spongy so maybe it should be renewed.

Anyone know about the banjo ring of the pressure line-to-EVO connection, it should come off right? Is it available as a spare part?

_20181121_185103b_.jpg

I doubt the banjo fitting is readily available...might need to source a used one, maybe need to pick up another EVO that comes with it.

Don't remove the hose fitting unless you have a new square teflon seal, or you get a new high pressure line that comes with it.

Unscrew the fitting to remove if off the EVO banjo...might be very snug (guessing you know that already). It just spins on the end of the high pressure line. The right sized wrenches will help remove it and lessen chances of damage to either part.

This is what the EVO looks like with the high pressure line removed.
SC_EVO01.jpg

New high pressure line looks like this:

The looped end, upper right, connects to the EVO. If you expect to replace the high pressure line, you could cut the hose and then work on separating the two fittings one they are off the car. Be sure you know what work is involved in replacing that line before you sacrifice it, tho.

As for the lower IC tube, you might get by without that last bolt when you put it back together.

Last edited:
Be sure you know what work is involved in replacing that line.

I don't seem to have a choice. It's the most probable cause of blockage. I will need to replace all 3 lines to be sure. But I still have no Idea how to get at them without removing the engine...

As for the lower IC tube, you might get by without that last bolt when you put it back together.

Yeah that can't be needed, but I would need to remove the bracket too, so not to have them rattling against each other.

_20181121_185501.jpg

Anyone know what this fitting is and where it goes? Seems to have a cap on so it's not connected...

Last edited:
Anyone know what this fitting is and where it goes?

Used on the assembly line I think.

For bleeding, the shop manual recommends pulling a vacuum on the reservoir as a service procedure, should the normal 'wheels in the air, lock-to-lock while turning the engine over without starting' method not work out well.

The pressure and return lines are soft lines/hoses that connect that assembly to the pump, but there is additional network of hard lines/metal tubes on the assembly that transfer fluid under pressure to the left and right sides of the rack that are also connected to the gear housing. The gear housing is the section where the steering wheel shaft is connected and holds the main valve assembly.

That fitting is on a tee on one of the hard line fittings, at the gear housing, on the rack and pinion assembly. I don't see it pictured in any diagrams in the manual, including the assembly explosion diagram. As well, I don't see it described, or referred to by any name. I think for your purposes, you can ignore it.

Pressure line secure?

I have put in the new pressure line assembly, but it is kind of loose as it uses only fastener (that is rather loose itself).
Do you tie it down in some places or just leave it as is (may be rattling around)?

ps pulley

I was having trouble holding the ps pulley fixed during reassembly, and used a large pipe wrench to the center boss with the tool bearing against it to push the pulley on to the shaft. It must have caused uneven pressure to the pulley as it is now warped.
So I managed to wreck the ps pulley... a wobbly pulley can't do much good for the new pump.

Back