Thread: water pump

water pump

Just wanted to post some water pump issues I came across. I noticed steam from the hood but the weather has changed colder here in Oregon so I didn't think anything of it. But my sc ran fine and I was checking up on it. After a couple weeks the heat stopped working, but ran ok. Eventually I noticed the temp gauge which never ran above normal, it hit hot finally. I was able to save my motor and stop running it once it heated up, but it seemed to take a while for my pump to give out. I filled the radiator today and pressure tested it, and the lower end of the pump spilled it all out. And somehow you have to special order a water pump so I cant fix that and the thermostat and cap until thanksgiving. But at least she still runs and sounds good. Anyone else have weird water pump problems?

03hyundai elantra-everyday car. 275k gave out. Spare motor has 345k on it and strong. Getting body work and new paint job
    89sc auto- locating spare motor
    90sc auto

Sounds like the snout seal in the pump gave up. Might have caused a gradual coolant loss that eventually led to more and more symptoms, as opposed to an outright system failure such as a big leak somewhere.

When was the last time you had the cooling system open?

If the pump is an indication of the condition of the cooling system overall, it's good you plan on doing cap and thermostat too, at least. New hoses and a radiator check wouldn't hurt

Ken in Salem

Hey Ken
    I worked on the cooling system a few months ago while I was doing a tune up. It did seem to leak a little but it wasn't noticeable anywhere so I bled the system. Like you said it was probably minor until now when it pours out. Definitely going to do some new hoses and got the thermostat and cap, since I bought it over the summer I'm not sure when it was worked on before that.

03hyundai elantra-everyday car. 275k gave out. Spare motor has 345k on it and strong. Getting body work and new paint job
    90sc auto

Quote Originally Posted by TBirdSC89 View Post
    I worked on the cooling system a few months ago.
    What did that include, exactly?

Lots of little things are in play...some are common and some are unique to the SC, from the chin spoiler to the connector on the temp sender to properly bleeding air when opened. Stats can stick open, head gaskets can leak but not blow, the radiator cap or line to the expansion tank can plug, keeping coolant from returning to a cold engine, typically manifested by a collapsed upper hose...heater core can slow leak...pin hole leaks in hoses...air can be sucked in past the water pump snout seal, missing seals on the sides of the radiator, lowered car, worn vanes on the water pump impeller, wrong coolant mix, hoses can fail internally...they fell mushy when inspected on the car, and clearly bad when removed and checked closely. Point is to be very through when checking an SC's cooling system. The fact that you pressure tested indicates you're on the right track so far

Took me a long time to get my cooling system working right. Among other issues, I didn't have a heater for a long time until I found that someone replaced the small hose off the water pump with one that wasn't molded...forced a tight turn that pinched it, cutting flow to near nothing.

Indeed many things in play. I just flushed the system out and put in some new coolant a few months ago and bled the air out via the bleeder bolt. But I do believe the pump snout is bad and/or the seal (obviously cause its leaking while filling up without the car running). Getting a new pump tomorrow and Thursday I'll be putting in a new pump w/gasket, thermostat with gasket, and upper lower hoses cause they do look aged. Plus the lower hose has that metal coil in it which I've read can cause issues over time.
    I also will be checking that water pump hose. I'm sure its aged too

90sc auto

Quote Originally Posted by TBirdSC89 View Post
    Getting a new pump tomorrow...
    Don't forget to rent a power steering pulley puller.

I remember those hose stiffener springs. Haven't seen them used with replacement hoses on our cars yet, tho. Fingers crossed

no heat

My heater isn't working either... but the other day the car drank the coolant overflow container dry, haven't done that before. So I will have to look into it next, after the PS issues.