water pump

TBirdSC89

Just wanted to post some water pump issues I came across. I noticed steam from the hood but the weather has changed colder here in Oregon so I didn't think anything of it. But my sc ran fine and I was checking up on it. After a couple weeks the heat stopped working, but ran ok. Eventually I noticed the temp gauge which never ran above normal, it hit hot finally. I was able to save my motor and stop running it once it heated up, but it seemed to take a while for my pump to give out. I filled the radiator today and pressure tested it, and the lower end of the pump spilled it all out. And somehow you have to special order a water pump so I cant fix that and the thermostat and cap until thanksgiving. But at least she still runs and sounds good. Anyone else have weird water pump problems?

Sounds like the snout seal in the pump gave up. Might have caused a gradual coolant loss that eventually led to more and more symptoms, as opposed to an outright system failure such as a big leak somewhere.

When was the last time you had the cooling system open?

If the pump is an indication of the condition of the cooling system overall, it's good you plan on doing cap and thermostat too, at least. New hoses and a radiator check wouldn't hurt ;)

Ken in Salem

Hey Ken
I worked on the cooling system a few months ago while I was doing a tune up. It did seem to leak a little but it wasn't noticeable anywhere so I bled the system. Like you said it was probably minor until now when it pours out. Definitely going to do some new hoses and got the thermostat and cap, since I bought it over the summer I'm not sure when it was worked on before that.

I worked on the cooling system a few months ago.

What did that include, exactly?

Lots of little things are in play...some are common and some are unique to the SC, from the chin spoiler to the connector on the temp sender to properly bleeding air when opened. Stats can stick open, head gaskets can leak but not blow, the radiator cap or line to the expansion tank can plug, keeping coolant from returning to a cold engine, typically manifested by a collapsed upper hose...heater core can slow leak...pin hole leaks in hoses...air can be sucked in past the water pump snout seal, missing seals on the sides of the radiator, lowered car, worn vanes on the water pump impeller, wrong coolant mix, hoses can fail internally...they fell mushy when inspected on the car, and clearly bad when removed and checked closely. Point is to be very through when checking an SC's cooling system. The fact that you pressure tested indicates you're on the right track so far ;)

Took me a long time to get my cooling system working right. Among other issues, I didn't have a heater for a long time until I found that someone replaced the small hose off the water pump with one that wasn't molded...forced a tight turn that pinched it, cutting flow to near nothing.

Indeed many things in play. I just flushed the system out and put in some new coolant a few months ago and bled the air out via the bleeder bolt. But I do believe the pump snout is bad and/or the seal (obviously cause its leaking while filling up without the car running). Getting a new pump tomorrow and Thursday I'll be putting in a new pump w/gasket, thermostat with gasket, and upper lower hoses cause they do look aged. Plus the lower hose has that metal coil in it which I've read can cause issues over time.
I also will be checking that water pump hose. I'm sure its aged too

no heat

My heater isn't working either... but the other day the car drank the coolant overflow container dry, haven't done that before. So I will have to look into it next, after the PS issues.

water leak

If there's a leak at the bottom of the front cover, is it an indication that the water pump is shot? Where would the water come from? I don't see any signs on the actual pump of leaking.

There is a built-in weep hole on the water pump (underneath the front of the snout) that sheds coolant when the seals leak and coolant gets past the bearings...the bearings can wear and cause the pump shaft to move sideways under load. Might not leak when the engine is off and you pressurize the system for testing. Might leak slow and be hard to spot. Might leak and end up on the cover.

Take a clean cloth and try to wipe off the inside of the water pump pulley - see if you get something besides routine grime.

How many miles does your pump have on it? If you take tension off the belt, can you move the pulley/shaft by hand, side-to-side?

How much coolant are you losing in the expansion tank for each drive cycle?

Last edited:
I don't know the age or mileage of the pump. It feels very solid and I haven't found any water on or around it.
I can't drive or start up the engine now. The expansion tank is empty but it leaks still, not running.
The water seems to turn up here at the bottom of the front cover:

_20190519_215103_a.jpg

If it's not the water pump or the timing cover to the block, it might be the thermostat housing is leaking at the intake manifold. They tend to be difficult to seal when doing the thermostat itself. If you end up chasing a leak, you might be forced to get your hands on the equipment to pressure test the cooling system.

The expansion tank is fairly easy to pull, and that would allow you to check if it's cracked/damaged, or if there is a leak where the hose fits onto the nipple at the bottom, and/or on the hose itself.

Yeah I pulled the expansion tank and it seems OK and I'm pretty sure it's not leaking there.

I don't know about the timing cover to the block, should there actually be a water jacket inside the cover?

Could someone identify the bracket in the above photo (at the arrows) that seems to be mounted with two bolts and a stud?
What does it do, or is it a part of the front cover? Thanks

The water shows up around the crankshaft sensor bracket. I have been unable to trace it any further.

Thus it seems the leak is somwhere in the front lower RH (passenger side) part of the engine.
I haven't been able to find any leaking water around the pump, thermostat housing or hoses. Water level is lower than the expansion tank but still leaking. I can't start up the engine right now as a lot of parts have been removed.

What should I look for? Where is a likely point to leak in that area?

Good evening

Is the coolant system components installed on the car? If so do a coolant pressure test to find leaks. You might be able to rent a kit from your local part store.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...TiAhVHip4KHX5JAF8QMwiAAigJMAk&iact=mrc&uact=8

With or without the coolant pressure tester check the following for visual coolant leak evidence.

1. Thermostat housing including hoses.
2. Water pump.
3. Timing chain cover.
4. Cylinder head to block.

Back