Thread: 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC Turn Signal Issue

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC Turn Signal Issue

I live in the north east and in a cold morning my turn signals don't work. The emergency flasher works fine when the turn signal is not working. On fairly warmer mornings the turn signals work fine, as they also do when the car warms up. I have owned this ca for about 20 years with out this problem. What part needs to be replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by aspedt2 View Post
    I live in the north east and in a cold morning my turn signals don't work. The emergency flasher works fine when the turn signal is not working. On fairly warmer mornings the turn signals work fine, as they also do when the car warms up. I have owned this ca for about 20 years with out this problem. What part needs to be replaced?
    As checking with the EVTM shows, either the flasher module, or the multi function switch.

I'd do the flasher first since it's a bit easier.

A quick verification would be to ease it down out of the dash, hit it with some hot air from a hair dryer or something similar, and see if they then work.

RwP

Do a quick visual on the multi-wire ignition switch down on the side of the steering column (not the lock cylinder). Might have to remove the 2-piece bezel that sits between the steering wheel and the dash. These tend to come apart, and if yours has never been replaced, I'd want to inspect it, as they are prone to fail and tons of circuits go thru it.

Operate the key and see if it looks like it wants to separate. Not expensive and easy to obtain.

You will need a security torx bit to remove, but not a bad job, I think. Just be sure it's indexed and the actuator rod is properly located. Study the old one/take pics for reference.

Good luck.

Flasher module

I have had intermittent turn signals before and resolved by changing the module.
    Even such that they work for several minutes when using the car and then stop working.
    The module is a quick easy change.
    2018 F150 Super Crew Lariat for when it REALLY snows
    1990 Titanium Auto 110k miles (Winter Toy)
    1992 RED/Black 5Spd 71k miles (Pristine Toy)
    1971 Mustang Convt 5.0L EFI 5 Spd