351C Swap 1990 SC

pjandtara

Is the 3.8 and the 5.0 crossmember the same? Did anyone ever come to market with a tubular mn12 crossmember? Has anyone done a Cleveland swap?

Yes, the crossmember is the same from 3.8 to 5.0. There are actually 2 different crossmembers, one for 89-92, and the other for 93-97. The only difference is that the later one has the motor mount pads 1” further apart. As for a tubular K-member, AJE did make one, but it was expensive and required their LCA’s as well, and many people who had them said they were not good for a street car.

As for a Cleveland swap, I think one was done a while ago. It should physically bolt in the same as a 302 or 351W, so if you get mounts from a 5.0 bird, it should bolt in, and either the AOD or the M5R2 will bolt up to it. I think your biggest issue is going to be headers, since our engine bays are not as spacious as a Mustang’s, so you may have to try a few different ones, and maybe even modify whichever ones hit in the fewest places. Also I’m not aware of any EFI intake manifold for the Cleveland (though it has been many years since I looked, so they could exist now) and a carb swap into a car that came with EFI is just hacky as far as I am concerned.

i would guess you could find or make some headers/manifolds fit without too much drama. Intake height is more likely the challenge. I did a quick search and trickflow makes the boxr manifold for 351C.

I have a 351w swap in my 89sc. I modified the k member and made custom motor mounts to get it to sit as low as possible. I also spaced the k member down .75". It still needed the cobra r cowl hood. and if im not mistaken, the box r manifold is an inch taller than the regular r manifold that I have.

The Cleveland is actually slightly shorter than the Windsor, but yes some kind of raised hood is a must with either one.

Back