New California exhaust law for 2019

figulaz

SCCoA Member
New law just went into effect in CA for “loud exhaust”. Drivers face a mandatory $1000 fine instead of a fix it ticket. This is not an emissions thing. It impacts all vehicles under 6000 lbs except for motorcycles including older pre-smog cars and trucks. If your exhaust is made in any way to amplify sound over OEM you’ll need to return it to oem configuration and pay the fine. The limit is 95dB but sounds like they can nit pick if it looks shiny or doesn’t sound like a bone stock Camry. I guess it’s aimed at the straight pipe/stance boyz ...but a big block Torino at a Cars and Coffee can get caught up with that law too now. You 49 state guys got it easy :D. Meanwhile here in “the other state” I got ported ‘94 stock manifolds to 2.5 tube magnaflow CA legal cats into I believe 3.5-4”tube back to 2.5 and a couple dynomax. What do you recommend...(besides moving to a normal American state). It sounds raspy and loud in bad way and I wanted to change it anyway.

http://www.bobsmuffler.com/noise.htm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOzO25ROyW4

F that place!

Try to find a way to measure how loud yours is. Get a chambered muffle if you dont already have one and you'll prolly be ok.

Last edited:
It impacts all vehicles under 6000 lbs except for motorcycles including older pre-smog cars and trucks. If your exhaust is made in any way to amplify sound over OEM you’ll need to return it to oem configuration and pay the fine.

This would require them to have a database of OEM exhaust volume, and for the officer who writes you the ticket to a calibrated sound meter measuring your car using the same test procedure as the one used for the measurement in their database. Obviously that's not the case, so yeah, this is just about harassment.

Even if they just go by an objective 95 db reading it's not that simple. I ran the sound meter for our local SCCA chapter at numerous events. Lots of things can affect the measurement, including distance from the sound meter, nearby buildings and atmospheric conditions.

It sounds as if a decent lawyer could get the ticket tossed pretty easily, but most people won't do that.

F that place!

155 days and I'm packing up my family and headed back East again. 9 years in Commiefornia was more than enough for us.. When my wife had a great job opportunity here in 2010 and told me about it, after I was done rolling around on the floor laughing that she'd even consider it, she told me they were paying for the move, would buy our home in VA and give us $$$ towards a home here in CA I was a little more receptive..

About 5 years into the ordeal and her hatred of this place had grown. We watch too much of our money going to pay for things we don't agree with by the state, and also the cost of living is way too much for what we get... We'd already met the time requirement by her employer in that we don't have to pay any of the move or house money back, so she started looking again to get us out of this hell-hole. Found a work at home job that pays more than the employer that moved us across the country, so once again we're free to roam (as long as there's an internet connection (wired, no satellite!).

We're so excited to get out of this damn place. We're already arguing about who gets to drive the first shift when we leave here. We both want to be the one to drive us out of this place!

We're so excited to get out of this damn place. We're already arguing about who gets to drive the first shift when we leave here. We both want to be the one to drive us out of this place!

Now, see, you need a second SC, both with cutouts, so you can floor them and race out of California on WOT with the cutouts open!

RwP

Now, see, you need a second SC, both with cutouts, so you can floor them and race out of California on WOT with the cutouts open!

RwP

Never brought my SC with us to California.

I didn't want to deal with all the BS that I knew existed in CA with regards to cars. My Annie didn't have an engine in it in 2010 when we moved, so I was able to put it in my brother's garage while we were here. I got to go visit it for a week or two a year. In that time it now runs/drives. Our next home will be in VA again, likely somewhere between Richmond and Norfolk. A bit of land and either a detached garage for me or room for me to build one. Looking forward to it! I've got a pile of parts waiting to put on and get it road worthy again. Going to start going through the suspension when I get back and replace the bushings and ball joints/control arms. Already has a new long block in it, NOS supercharger (late model) I picked up a while back and the transmission has been rebuilt. Exhaust is done too. Not too much I have left to do to it mechanically, then on to cosmetics!

RwP

Good point. I gotta wait until my son finishes high school at least. I measured the dB with an app and I'm well within the spec at about 85 dB at 3000 rpm but it'll still set off the occasional car alarm just putting around town..therefore it is aftermarket. I'm going to start with the resonator and see how it all plays out. California has a million laws and we either find a loophole or the law just isn't enforced much. You can't enforce every law to the max...there are only so many state referees and they're semi-retired teachers at community colleges. Heck I bet half their appointments are going to be their own students. Given the situation I will be exporting my midlength headers to the United States. It's time to let them go. With the right cam and supporting mods I'm sure it'll sound real nice for some lucky 49 stater!:D

This would require them to have a database of OEM exhaust volume, and for the officer who writes you the ticket to a calibrated sound meter measuring your car using the same test procedure as the one used for the measurement in their database. Obviously that's not the case, so yeah, this is just about harassment.

Even if they just go by an objective 95 db reading it's not that simple. I ran the sound meter for our local SCCA chapter at numerous events. Lots of things can affect the measurement, including distance from the sound meter, nearby buildings and atmospheric conditions.

It sounds as if a decent lawyer could get the ticket tossed pretty easily, but most people won't do that.

This law is not new. Its been 95 db for quite some time - they just changed the fine. Its aimed at people with more obnoxious exhaust systems who obviously deserve it. Im sure you guys love 4 cylinder Hondas with fart can exhaust in whatever state you live in also.

If you do receive a ticket, the officer does not perform the test - they send you to a referee who has all of the books / database - the testing standards are at about 2/3 of your max RPM, about 20 inches away from the exhaust tip with a calibrated meter at a 45 degree angle.

You can argue it however you want, but if you get pulled over, your car probably sounds terrible. Just sayin.

Back