Barrett Jackson Lot# 990.1

ecyrbh

I was just informed that there will be a 35th going across the block on Friday that has "18" miles on it,with the interior still in plastic...I don't see on the BJ website a link for Fridays schedule..Anyone got any ideas..I'd love to see it go across and what it may sell for

Thanks KMT,Saw the link about the same time that you replied...Just wonder about what time it will go across...

Their mobile app, in my case iOS, let me enable notifications, then I found that lot and selected to 'follow'. I'm assuming I'll get pinged.

18 miles...have to do a roll back to get lower than that. Looks perfect - wonder how often they spin it over.

Barrett-Jackson's website runs the block live for those that don't have TV access.

Supercoupes don't seem to pull in a good sale price at the well known auctions, Barrett-Jackson, Mecum, etc. It's just not a car that appeals to the masses, I bet it doesn't get more than $6-$7k.......:eek:

Last edited:
Supercoupes don't seem to pull in a good sale price at the well known auctions

Not just well know auctions. But that's why another run at it via a major venue is going to be interesting...

Besides, you'd think any 30 yr. old factory supercharged car w/only 18 miles is worth at least 5 figures.

Last edited:
I saw a '98 Rover Defender go for $100k on mecum the other day - w/nothing more than diamond plate fender skins and 4 extra lights on an aftermarket roof rack :confused:

Last edited:
This one won't cross the blocks until tomorrow sometime. They start at #901 tomorrow.

Last edited:
35th_$27k.png

"Lot #990.1 - This 1990 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe features a 3.8-liter SEFI supercharged V6 engine with automatic transmission.

This one-owner car has 18 actual miles (the title reads mileage exempt) and has been garage-kept in a private collection.

This highly optioned and special-ordered Thunderbird features the 35th Anniversary Package, keyless entry system, Traction-Lok rear axle, illuminated entry system, black sidewall all-season tires, tilt steering column, speed control, split fold-down rear seat, 6-way power seats, dual electric remote mirrors, air conditioner, premium AM/FM/cassette/clock stereo radio, JBL Audio system and the Power Lock Group. Inside the car, the factory plastic covers are still on the seats, and the floor mats are still in their original plastic bags.

The following documentation is included: purchase order, warranty disclaimer, Window Sticker, inspection report, owner's manual kit, warranty card, Marti Report and a signed letter from its original owner stating that the car only has 18 original miles."

Sold new for very near the same price.

Last edited:
Cell phone is worth another, what....$10k, right? At least they avoided the word 'rare'...

Bugged me earlier when they had a '56 'Bird and said it had a 292 'V8'. Poor guys have to keep up the patter but must get constant grief over details.

Did you see the $250,000.00 custom '50 Ford Coupe that sold for $50k? That's what I call taking a bath. Said the owner put that much alone in just the engine.

Last edited:
Garaged for all those years, never driven and probably paid interest on the loan for the car. Seems to me the original owner lost about $3-4000 dollars just letting the car sit. Great deal for the new buyer - seems like a lame deal for the original "owner". One other thought - $27000 dollars in 1991 is roughly $49000 today. Factor that in and the car lost half of its value without factoring in the storage cost. :confused:

I suspect bidders saw the original invoice and bet on it being the sweet spot to separate car and owner. I tried to do the math on storage, and if it was a professional collector, those can be driven way down, and written off come tax time. Might have been a concern, like a museum that had it mothballed over the years, rather than some guy with an unused garage, but we might never know. Could have been the auction house knew the owner and leaned on them to bring something to the block. I'd like to know if it was bought because it was an SC, or simply because it was frozen in time.

Guessing the owner needed the floor space and decided it was time to cut losses, etc., but yes, someone managed to buy a time capsule for just the entry fee. As long as they don't hoon it, they shouldn't be at too big of a risk going forward.

Still good news for SC owners today, in general tho, I think. Could have gone for a lot less.

Last edited:
Back