SC Blower (er, supercharger) Ducting Seal Procedure

Air2Mud

OK, let me preface this query with yes, I *did* try the search function . . . the search function never works for me anyway - see Edit.
Anyway, I removed everything on top of my engine to get to the fuel rail to replace the fuel pressure reg. Now I get to reinstall it all.
I've got the Teflon strips and RTV-like sealant to reseal my supercharger ducting. Not wanting to mess up the small quantity of Teflon strips provided, what is the best/successful way to go about sealing the blower output ducting?

Thank you all in advance for any clues or suggestions.

Edit: YES! Yes, I finally did figure out the search function. Dohhhhhh . . .

Last edited:
Ah, you mean intercooler tubes - seems two favorite methods are black RTV and/or those reusable teflon seals you can buy off eBay. I use a mix of both...RTV on the outlet that bolts to the top of the supercharger, and the teflon seals (not the strips) at the rest of the joints.

Either way, be sure the mating surfaces are clean. Be careful to not scratch them. I like to use plastic scrapers, paper shop towels, brake clean and alcohol.

The teflon strips might be more trouble than they're worth, but will work if applied correctly and the IC tube joints match properly when clamping.

You'll know if they leak. Engine will complain in the way it runs, makes noise, etc.

Last edited:
Intercooler tubes . . . OK, I get all that other stuff.

"The teflon strips might be more trouble than they're worth, but will work if applied correctly ..." What you describe is the part I was hoping to get some specifics about. My hope is that, armed with sufficient detail, I can apply them correctly the first time since I have a limited number of the Teflon strips . . .

My hope is that

Again, I don't use those tapes. They were recommended decades ago. Today, we have more modern methods we can take advantage of, and my hope is that since you asked for advice, you might want to take mine :) See the link nickleman60 so graciously provided, saving you the search confusion, for the teflon gaskets on eBay. Get them...use them...love them.

... See the link nickleman60 so graciously provided, saving you the search confusion, for the teflon gaskets on eBay. Get them...use them...love them.

I'm all over it! Thanks to everyone who chimed in, your help is very much appreciated.

You'll be fine - good luck w/it and if you have time, let us know how you get along.

Last edited:
You'll be fine - good luck w/it and if you have time, let us know how you get.
I'm new to some of the SC terminology and obviously a newb on this forum as well but not new to wrenches. ;) I bagged 2 sets of dDUBb's (TCCoA Forum handle) gaskets off of eBay.
Thank you for the encouragement. In the world I came from a long time ago, it was always better to be lucky than "just" good. I'll report back my experience.

Agree, good stuff generally speaking and I believe I have a fresh tube of exactly that around here somewhere. Fwiw, I determined when I took things apart that something like "rtv" was used. But since my experience with this particular application is essentially zero, I'm gonna err on the side of overkill with the cut-to-fit Teflon gaskets. Overkill is good, eh. :cool:

Thanks for the link.

Yeah those are my gaskets - I just don't frequent this board as often lately. Ive moved on to other projects ( I got hated on the last time I shared my Chevys, so I wont bother you guys with that ), but I still own two of these SC's.

anyways .. Ive basically ran through my inventory of the IC gaskets - so they are currently unavailable. The last time I had a batch done, I said this would be the last time I make them. The demand for these has gone down significantly over the last few years and it is a big investment in time / effort for me to have these available for you guys.

Just curious what you guys think as far as having future sets made up. I don't want to have a bunch of these gaskets on hand when I only sell about 4 or 5 sets per year and people aren't interested in them until they are all gone.

- Dan

. . .
Just curious what you guys think as far as having future sets made up. I don't want to have a bunch of these gaskets on hand when I only sell about 4 or 5 sets per year and people aren't interested in them until they are all gone.

- Dan
My sense is that you might respond to future discussion where somebody needs IC gaskets. But, since you don't spend that much time on this forum, somebody would have to have a priori info ... (In other words, somebody would have to get lucky! :))
MDW

Permatex Copper RTV... best stuff ever. Low odor, no sticky or runny so you can easily spread it where you want it, and you can drive the car without waiting for it to set up. If you need to take something back apart later, it is easy to separate pieces and cleans off without too much effort.

https://www.zoro.com/permatex-rtv-silicone-sealant-3-oz-tube-copper-81878/i/G2802633/

Agree. I use black RTV; however the copper is generally better to work with. Too many people, like with other SC topics, Oh.. lets say burping the coolant, adjusting the TV cable, head gaskets.. so on and so forth, overwork the issue. This is not complicated. put a thin layer on the flanges, let it sit for a bit, bolt it together evenly.. don't overtighten anything! Done!

Agree. I use black RTV; however the copper is generally better to work with. Too many people, like with other SC topics, Oh.. lets say burping the coolant, adjusting the TV cable, head gaskets.. so on and so forth, overwork the issue. This is not complicated. put a thin layer on the flanges, let it sit for a bit, bolt it together evenly.. don't overtighten anything! Done!

Correct, high temp Permatex RTV is easiest sealer to use on SC motor and IC tubes.

David

I think the general attitude here is that RTV works just fine.

In that case, I will definitely not be making an additional batch of the Teflon IC gaskets.

- Dan

Sealing

I’ll chime in....
My experience - NO sealer - clean surfaces
Leave the blower top bolts in but loose.
Work up the clamp bolts evenly and do not over tighten.
Let the tube joints, and intercooler joints find a nice fit and work the tightness up 1/2 turn at a time.

I have done this several times and maybe been lucky but never had a vac leak .

I think it is more about the tubes seating nicely than over tightening.

Tighten up the blower top screws last, this allows the tube/ball joints to seat where they want to.

Last edited:
I will be doing these teflon gaskets this weekend as the 35th I purchased a couple months ago came with a leak at the spanner nut on the upper tube. How do these gaskets attach?

I will be doing these teflon gaskets this weekend as the 35th I purchased a couple months ago came with a leak at the spanner nut on the upper tube. How do these gaskets attach?

3 of the gaskets just slide onto the intercooler and intake plenum studs. For the 4th "O" ring looking gasket you'll need to separate the supercharger top from the tube, spanner wrench is the preferred but it can be done with a hammer and large screw driver but you might damage the nut, aesthetics I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Back