Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your biggest ever "screw up" while working on your SC?

When my XR7 was new I was on a mission to make it faster, but since this was 1992, there wasn't much info out there and no internet to help out, so I tried more "old fashioned" hop up methods. I started with changing the thermostat to a 160 deg unit ($3.50). Of course this made the car run hotter. I bought a thermocouple ($140) so that I could figure out what was going on. Determined that the fan wasn't coming on until 210 deg, so I got a manual temp sensor ($20) to control the fan. It still ran hot because after more testing I also determined that the stock fan was dual speed. Bought another controller to run the 2nd speed ($20) but then proceeded to burn up the car stereo fuse holders I was using to power them so bought bigger ones ($40). Now it worked but the fan was running slower, not faster. Before I figured out why, the fan burnt up. So I bought the biggest aftermarket fan I could find ($160) and installed that. It seemed to work about as good as the low speed stock fan, but at least it worked. A new Ford fan was $350 or so and I already knew that wasn't working. Went on vacation in summer with the car and was 1500miles from home in 95deg heat, started the car up for the first time of the day and let the AC run to cool off the ultra hot black leather interior before getting into the car and suddenly the AC compressor starts "smoking" and the belts start squealing and all hell breaks loose under the hood. I determine the AC compressor has locked up. So we spend the rest of our vacation driving without AC until we can get to a shop to have the AC looked at. $360 later it apparently worked fine but they replaced the orifice line just to be safe. We take the car and later on it does the same thing. Don't remember how I figured out that the AC system was overpressurizing due to no air moving through the radiator (fan not on because engine wasn't hot enough). To this day my wife is leary of AC systems due to the number of times it did that to her with no explanation. Eventually figured it out and rigged my own relay pack to get the fans to come on under all the right circumstances ($40). By this time it was probably 2000 or so and the EEC Tuner was on the market so I got one of those ($400) and bought a new Ford fan ($350) and set about to make it work right and get rid of all the crappy wiring I'd added. Turns out the stupid EEC Tuner only accesses the high speed function on the fan so ended up burning out the fan AGAIN after a couple years. But this time it took out the relays in the IRCM too. I was disgusted with the whole thing and parked the car in front of the garage and left it. It was fall anyway. Come March I decided to start the car up and let it warm up (idk why I did this) and went in the house. Got distracted and probably a half hour later my wife asks why the car is smoking. (?!?!) Turns out I forgot the fan was disconnected and it overheated and blew the headgaskets ($1500).

All for a $3.50 160 deg thermostat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

I was installing a firewall behind the rear seat because I was adding a fuel cell in the trunk. I was in the trunk and my father (bull in china shop) was in the car and he was hammering the sheet metal into shape so we could get some clekos in it. His back swing was a little to aggressive and he took out the rear glass. This was about 10 years ago and I still from time to time find a little cube of glass in the car, he probably still finds some in his hair too.
    Brian Oatway
    '94 SC 2.6KB C4 Auto
    9.956 @ 135.12 mph 1.364 60'
    514rwhp/460rwtq
    "Super Uber Club Member" - per Ira
    SCCoA Member # 705

In 2017 Chris Wise and Kelly Simons helped me replace my new 255lph fuel pump. Turns out it was the relay in the trunk.
    SCCoA Member#: 847
    Jacob Royer Fan Club Member #: 1

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    When my XR7 was new I was on a mission to make it faster, but since this was 1992, there wasn't much info out there and no internet to help out, so I tried more "old fashioned" hop up methods. I started with changing the thermostat to a 160 deg unit ($3.50). Of course this made the car run hotter. I bought a thermocouple ($140) so that I could figure out what was going on. Determined that the fan wasn't coming on until 210 deg, so I got a manual temp sensor ($20) to control the fan. It still ran hot because after more testing I also determined that the stock fan was dual speed. Bought another controller to run the 2nd speed ($20) but then proceeded to burn up the car stereo fuse holders I was using to power them so bought bigger ones ($40). Now it worked but the fan was running slower, not faster. Before I figured out why, the fan burnt up. So I bought the biggest aftermarket fan I could find ($160) and installed that. It seemed to work about as good as the low speed stock fan, but at least it worked. A new Ford fan was $350 or so and I already knew that wasn't working. Went on vacation in summer with the car and was 1500miles from home in 95deg heat, started the car up for the first time of the day and let the AC run to cool off the ultra hot black leather interior before getting into the car and suddenly the AC compressor starts "smoking" and the belts start squealing and all hell breaks loose under the hood. I determine the AC compressor has locked up. So we spend the rest of our vacation driving without AC until we can get to a shop to have the AC looked at. $360 later it apparently worked fine but they replaced the orifice line just to be safe. We take the car and later on it does the same thing. Don't remember how I figured out that the AC system was overpressurizing due to no air moving through the radiator (fan not on because engine wasn't hot enough). To this day my wife is leary of AC systems due to the number of times it did that to her with no explanation. Eventually figured it out and rigged my own relay pack to get the fans to come on under all the right circumstances ($40). By this time it was probably 2000 or so and the EEC Tuner was on the market so I got one of those ($400) and bought a new Ford fan ($350) and set about to make it work right and get rid of all the crappy wiring I'd added. Turns out the stupid EEC Tuner only accesses the high speed function on the fan so ended up burning out the fan AGAIN after a couple years. But this time it took out the relays in the IRCM too. I was disgusted with the whole thing and parked the car in front of the garage and left it. It was fall anyway. Come March I decided to start the car up and let it warm up (idk why I did this) and went in the house. Got distracted and probably a half hour later my wife asks why the car is smoking. (?!?!) Turns out I forgot the fan was disconnected and it overheated and blew the headgaskets ($1500).

All for a $3.50 160 deg thermostat.
    lol....that is all!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | 2017 |
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, E85, Alky-Inj RWHP: ? RWTQ: ? Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage