Installed new radiator, having cooling fan issues in 95 SC auto

phils89sc

Hello All!

My radiator in my 95 SC (already an aftermarket brass type) was leaking, so I purchased the aluminum one from RockAuto. I transferred the intercooler bracket and installed it last night.

Prior to this, I already knew that there was a problem with the factory cooling fan (low/high speed). When idling, it seems like only the high speed fan comes on, as it is not until the needle on the gauge moves past the M in NORM before the fan kicks on. Also, when using my code reader, during the KOEO test, it tests the fan, and it only comes on one speed. Before I put in the new radiator, I bench-tested the fan off the battery and tested both the low and high speeds. I grounded the black wire and tested the speeds on the other two. The fan would come on for both of the other two leads, but the fan speed was the same for both. The same thing happens during the KOEO test when the fan is hooked up. If I remember right, in the SC's I have had in the past, during the KOEO fan test, it spins up the low speed first, then the high speed. Not on mine though, but I don't know if the strategy in the ECU is different for the later model SC's as the only ones I have had were 89-91's.

If the fan is bad, what is more likely the issue, a bad relay in the IRCM, or the fan itself?

Thanks for all your help!!

Back