Rough, miss-like idle

The wires that are frayed out on my one sensor are not connected to anything, just like this one pictured. They both confuse me. If its like that from the factory, then that's a silly, if not pointless design. Is it supposed to be a ground?

The OTHER end is grounded.

For noise reduction, you really don't want to ground BOTH ends.

RwP

That 'wire' is actually shielding meant to control/suppress EMI/random signals (noise) from mixing in with signals used by the DIS/ECU. What you're seeing on the crank sensor end is normally buried when the harness is wrapped. I'd re-wrap it, or apply some liquid tape to be sure it doesn't free style to ground on it's own.

If you like, test continuity between it and the single-wire connector on the other end of the crank sensor's pigtail, and at the same single-wire free connector at the multi-wire connector on the top left corner of the supercharger. You'll see another single-wire free connector at the coil's connector that leads to a noise suppressor (can on some models, small flat ferrite core on others).

At the least, be sure all of them are connected.

Last edited:
On the crankshaft sensor connector, what are the numbers for the wires for back-probing tests? I want to make sure my test is true.

She's not happy now...

After a few minor repairs(DIS, DIS harness, and cam sensor) plus tests, everything seemed alright. Drove fine for a few minutes, then it started doing the slight misfire...the issue I've been chasing. I knew it was time to go home when it started to get worse. It was bad enough to make the engine light come on and go out multiple times. Pulled codes after the drive and did both tests.

KOEO: 11 & 19
KOER: 41, 91, 77, 74

I wonder what I'm missing...

Thoughts

Would you think O2 issues could cause it? My O2 sensors are brand new, but I had to cut and soldier in correct plugs. One of them has a 4th wire and the other does not, I just don't recall if it's coming from the plug end or the O2.
What do you think?

I have had fouled O2 sensors cause a bad misfire. It would barely run enough to drive around the block. After replacing them it ran normally.

Alright! I think we finally got it figured out. Replaced the O2 sensors and it hasn't done anything funky yet and I've driven it a few places.

Back