New license plate for the '94 Blackbird

nickleman60

The old girl finally came of age and turned 25 so for her birthday I gave her an antique tag. As much as I drive it, hardly at all, this was a no brainer. No more personal property tax, yearly registration renewals or state inspections ever again. Va. antique tags are a one time fee of $50.

Attachments

• 94 tbird antique plate.png
    94 tbird antique plate.png
    482.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 94 tbird plate.png
    94 tbird plate.png
    354.5 KB · Views: 308
What restrictions are there for you on when or how much you can drive it?

Va.'s only restriction is that you can't drive it further than 250 miles of the address that it's registered to, no limit on how many miles driven. When you do register for antique tags you have to show that you have a vehicle with regular tags for daily driving as antique tagged vehicles aren't suppose to be your main transportation.

Last edited:
I got a few I need to do this to.:)

Chris,
I now have antique tags on both the '90 and '94 supercoupes and my '80 CJ5.

Tag looks better on the back than the front, kinda blends in with all the other black.......;):D

Attachments

• 20190211_154832_resized.jpg
    20190211_154832_resized.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 263
Va.'s only restriction is that you can't drive it further than 250 miles of the address that it's registered to, no limit on how many miles driven. When you do register for antique tags you have to show that you have a vehicle with regular tags for daily driving as antique tagged vehicles aren't suppose to be your main transportation.

That's a strange restriction, especially considering for the overwhelming majority of the state, 250 miles in any direction gets you outside the state line, where presumably the adjacent states are not going to either know or care about that restriction.

I do the same with all of my vehicles the year they turn 25 for the same reasons (no further fees or inspections). The rules are a bit more lax here in MO. I'll have four vehicles here with historic tags next year. Well, at least four. I could get another before then. :D

In NC, the car must be manufactured before 1981 to be considered antique. That's pretty cool that VA lets you do that. NC is getting pretty bad on the fees and taxes... must be from all the snowbirds and halfbacks. :(

That's a strange restriction, especially considering for the overwhelming majority of the state, 250 miles in any direction gets you outside the state line, where presumably the adjacent states are not going to either know or care about that restriction.

Ha, this is what I told Ralph. 250 miles in any direction and we are out of the state. NFG'n then! And then it would be an official club event anyway if we do go that far.

I checked - Louisiana is better, and worse, than the other states.

$25 for a lifetime plate, no mileage restrictions.

However, it has to be 100% stock - so my aftermarket radio blows it. (So would my PBR brakes or my Delrin / poly bushings around ... )

OTOH, I'm not sure any one would know the difference save for the radio.

OTGH - my luck, I'd get the one person inspecting that DID know the difference! *grumbles*

RwP

I checked - Louisiana is better, and worse, than the other states.

$25 for a lifetime plate, no mileage restrictions.

However, it has to be 100% stock - so my aftermarket radio blows it. (So would my PBR brakes or my Delrin / poly bushings around ... )

OTOH, I'm not sure any one would know the difference save for the radio.

OTGH - my luck, I'd get the one person inspecting that DID know the difference! *grumbles*

RwP

NJ also supposedly requires the car to be completely stock for historic tags, but I don't think anyone at DMV either knows or cares, since I have seen plenty of cars with 8-71 blowers sticking out of the hood running around on historic tags. NJ's rules for it are that the car can't be driven Monday to Thursday, unless to or from a car show or repairs, but as long as you know that, you can always say you are bringing it to the shop for something.

in wisconsin it is also a great deal

When I first got one it was $50 one time and you were done. the only three things we have to do are. do not drive during the month of January, car must be stock or at least look stock, and you have to have another car to drive. That is it, simple and to the point. Now they raised the first time fee to I think $125 but the second or more plates are still about $60 each after you get that first one. ...Rich

I do the same with all of my vehicles the year they turn 25 for the same reasons (no further fees or inspections). The rules are a bit more lax here in MO. I'll have four vehicles here with historic tags next year. Well, at least four. I could get another before then. :D

Might be time to do this on my 91 SC...not having to renew plates would be nice.

Might be time to do this on my 91 SC...not having to renew plates would be nice.
Not for me David.

A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Not for me David.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Yeah, I'm not interested in doing all that...especially keeping a log and staying under 1000 miles a year.

David

That blows, you're state needs to loosen the criteria a little........:confused:

Yeah, I'm not interested in doing all that...especially keeping a log and staying under 1000 miles a year.

David

Nobody actually follows the rules for more than a couple of months. We're supposed to run front plates, too. Do it and don't look back.

EDIT: Or don't, and enjoy the bi-annual hassle of inspections, trips to the DMV, and fees.

Back