Need help in Identifying this loose wire.

sdw

i have scoured my EVTM but can't find what this wire is for.

The connector is C168.

The wire is light green.

Any help would be appreciated

TIA

Sean

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_5236.jpg

Loose wire

SPOUT connector possibly?
I see some other eyelet/wire under D.I.S. module module mtg screw in
the pic. Where is that going to? Ground for something?

Ground for something?

Something. If it's meant to help ground the DIS itself, that corner is in the rear. Harness looks completely thrashed so, so anything is possible.

Might be someone was looking for a tach signal wire in the past, and that free agent is left over, where the aftermarket tach has left the building.

Sorry I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to check in.

It is a 91.

While the harness is not very pretty that wire is the only thing that is off.

I've owned the car for a long time but don't remember if it came with this wire exposed or not.

It never had an aftermarket tach. so I doubt that is it but no way to completely rule that out.

The car ran well with this wire as is but as I am putting it back on the road I thought I might try and figure out what that wire is.

I did add that wire as a ground and it looked to me as that corner of the DIS is a ground point. I will change it if that is not the case. Tks for the heads up.

regards

sean

Good evening

I referenced 1991 Thunderbird/Cougar Wiring and Vacuum book. 3.8L Supercharged. Zone coordinates: A 58

I believe the picture of broken wire color is light blue. The wire number is 796.

Colors ares as follows:

1. Red/Light Blue
2. Red/Light Green
3. Dark Green/Yellow
4. Dark Green
5. Light Blue
6. Dark Blue
7. Yellow/Light Green
8. Black/Yellow
9. Black.

This matches my 1991.

If so this wire is the feed from pin 16 at the EEC Cam signal return to connector C168 and ends via splice to DIS, Crank and Cam sensors connectors.

Can you count the total numbers of wires from your connector. If you have 8 wires to your harness / connector it is a 1989 -1990 model.

Last edited:
I was able to get back to the garage this Saturday and the connector does have 9 wires to it and they are all there.

So I think KMT has hit the nail on the head and this wire was added in for a piece of hardware that wasn't there when I got the car.

I will tape it off and be done.

Thanks so much for the help!

Sean

Back