Chunk of head missing

Jeffg302

As i was looking over the cylinder heads from my 91 SC I noticed a small chunk of the head missing/broken out. Is it possible that it was a crack at one point that broke open? It still looked as if the head gasket on this engine cylinder was sealed off before reaching the crack so I cant imagine it was a detonation issue. I would venture to say this head is unusable at this point. Any experts that have seen a thing or two with these motors care to weigh in?

Attachments

• 0414191017.jpg
    0414191017.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 251
  • 0414191018.jpg
    0414191018.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 225
Last edited:
It might have been porosity in the casting in that spot. It can be repaired by just a bit of welding and then resurfacing the head. I would get it crack tested too before attempting any repairs to it.

That's a lot of work just to see if the JB will hold. I would send it to the machine shop have them do the repair, check and mill the heads and do the valves to be sure. It won't be that expensive and you'll be sure to have a good set of heads that will last.

I would venture to say this head is unusable at this point.

I know of at least one rebuilder in TX that will take it as a core, as-is.

But, yes, I wouldn't use it like that. I've seen block faces on SC motors do something similar, also right next to a water jacket. Sorry if I missed it, is that the back cylinder, pass. side?

Last edited:
Back