Thread: 8.8 IRS Help required PLEASE

8.8 IRS Help required PLEASE

Hi gents Im sorry if this is a nob question but Im from Australia and Ive purchased a 8.8 IRS setup for my drag car (RX7) and I need some help as we dont have any cars that run a 8.8 in Australia.

So Im asking for some help as I have a cast housing Im sure its from a Tbird (unsure of model or any other info) and a aluminium cover or hat which I got told was from a Cobra.....again u sure of model or anything else.

But what Im doing is putting a spool in it and getting some drive shaft axles made but Im chasing some half shafts or stub axles in a 31 spline (as I have been told these are the best and strongest to use) so what I want to know if anyone can tell me what car and model comes with 31 spline stub axles to suit the cast housing ?

I have attached the pics of my setup so far but yes I need some stub axles or half shafts or what ever yall call them that come out of the diff in a 31 spline and also is it true the 31 spline is the best and strongest??

Thanks for all yall help its greatly appreciated and again sorry it may be a knob question.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

31 spline would be 2000-2004 Cobra. 1991 was 29 spline IIRC; same as the MN12/FN10.

But.

You need to count the spline count on your spiders; and match them.

31s don't fit 29 spline spiders, and vice versa.

Both fit the same pumpkin, though. Just not both at the same time unless you're crazy and put one on one side and the other on the other for some weird reason.

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    31 spline would be 2000-2004 Cobra. 1991 was 29 spline IIRC; same as the MN12/FN10.

But.

You need to count the spline count on your spiders; and match them.

31s don't fit 29 spline spiders, and vice versa.

Both fit the same pumpkin, though. Just not both at the same time unless you're crazy and put one on one side and the other on the other for some weird reason.

RwP
    RalphP I’m going 31 spline spool so I’m chasing 31 spline stub shafts out of the diff.
    And would the cobra shafts fit the TBird housing ???

Quote Originally Posted by SEDUCE View Post
    RalphP Im going 31 spline spool so Im chasing 31 spline stub shafts out of the diff.
    And would the cobra shafts fit the TBird housing ???
    Same Timken part (714569) fits both, so I'd say yes.

RwP

Yes, the Cobra inner axle will fit in the Tbird housing. As a matter of fact, the whole Cobra half-shaft may work, depending on your track width. That rear diff cover is definitely not a Tbird or Cobra unit though, looks more like from a Ford Explorer or Expedition to me. As for the spline count, the higher the spline count, the stronger, however with an IRS axle, it is frequently some other part that is the weakest link that lets go, so depending how much power you are putting to the ground, it may not be worth the added trouble of tracking down the 31 spline stub shafts and shipping them half way around the world.