I have two cooling fans - does anyone else?

potshotscott

So here's the deal - and I can go snap photos if needed. I have been looking at the factory repair CD and the EVTM and do not find any references for a front cooling fan. It is mounted on the front of the Rad/Condenser unit on the driver side. It appears to have a stock fan connector and really looks as though it belongs there. At some point I will chase out the wiring to see where its plumbed in. But for now I'll ask - do any of you have this very stock looking cooling fan on the front side?

Ahh - okay - yeah its a 1994. It's just adding to my fan troubleshooting. Thanks

Yes 94 and 94 SC's have the pusher fan. Honestly I have never seen mine turn on during normal operation, except for a KOEO test, and then only for a few seconds LOL!

I am not sure what the EEC strategies are for when that fan kicks in at all. I should probably look then up!

Smitty

It's been so long since mine was set to the stock settings, or was even wired close to stock, I really don't remember the settings. Right now my pusher fan is wired separately and turns on at the same time the radiator fan does. If I remember correctly though, the OEM controller for the fan is on the driver's side panel right in front of the firewall.

But I do know that both the fan and the wiring for it are in the wiring manual

So here's the deal - and I can go snap photos if needed. I have been looking at the factory repair CD and the EVTM and do not find any references for a front cooling fan. It is mounted on the front of the Rad/Condenser unit on the driver side. It appears to have a stock fan connector and really looks as though it belongs there. At some point I will chase out the wiring to see where its plumbed in. But for now I'll ask - do any of you have this very stock looking cooling fan on the front side?

94 and 95s got the neat little device pusher fans. They will turn on when the temps reach head gasket blowing territory. I thought it was 230 but could be wrong. If you reach those temps you got issues, it can be programmed with a tune to come on sooner. Or you can relay and have it come on when the lo speed or high speed kicks on the regular fan.

Its good practice to run a EEC test periodically to keep it from going bad as it hardly gets used and can seize up with dirt and rust.

Great suggestions - thanks guys. May consider a relay using the "pull" fan as the trigger

Best practice is the relay I feel. No muss, no fuss, simple wiring. And Ricardo's memory of this is better than mine, although we disagree on the need for the fan. It isn't going to hurt having the second fan come on with the main radiator fan. But make sure it is a useful fan. Hooking up the stock fan or simply replacing it with something similar isn't go to do you any good in the summer with the a/c on. Get a real fan.

I'm using a SPAL 2000cfm pusher fan and it turns on at 186 degrees with the main fan and it makes one heck-of-a difference. Of course your mileage may vary on the need for that.

I have the factory puller 2 speed fan on my radiator (1993 SC) and when I got it last year I also installed a flex-a-lite pusher fan. I also installed a fan on my intercooler. Separate relays going to 1 toggle switch which I turn on pretty much as soon as I start the car. Runs much cooler with those fans on, gotta keep the heat down, especially on these cars.

I have the factory puller 2 speed fan on my radiator (1993 SC) and when I got it last year I also installed a flex-a-lite pusher fan. I also installed a fan on my intercooler. Separate relays going to 1 toggle switch which I turn on pretty much as soon as I start the car. Runs much cooler with those fans on, gotta keep the heat down, especially on these cars.

Which fan did you use? I'm thinking a similar setup would be nice to have when in traffic.

Which fan did you use? I'm thinking a similar setup would be nice to have when in traffic.

14" Pro Air Flex-a-lite part # 114N and the intercooler fan was from Supercoupe Performance I got years ago for another Supercoupe I had. Glad I kept it before I got rid of the car.

14" Pro Air Flex-a-lite part # 114N and the intercooler fan was from Supercoupe Performance I got years ago for another Supercoupe I had. Glad I kept it before I got rid of the car.

Thanks! I've got the IC fan already. I've got a Griffin radiator going in, I may get this fan and do it all at one shot.

Back