2019 Hot Rod Power Tour

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Any one doing the HRPT this year? I plan to do the first 2 or 3 legs since they're close enough to me. If anyone else near by wants to caravan in let me know.

June 8 - Concord, NC
June 9 - Martinsville, VA
June 10 - Bristol, TN
June 11 - Sparta, KY
June 12 - Indianapolis, IN
June 13 - Fort Wayne, IN
June 14 - Norwalk, OH

More details @ https://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

-Tim

Any one doing the HRPT this year? I plan to do the first 2 or 3 legs since they're close enough to me. If anyone else near by wants to caravan in let me know.

June 8 - Concord, NC
June 9 - Martinsville, VA
June 10 - Bristol, TN
June 11 - Sparta, KY
June 12 - Indianapolis, IN
June 13 - Fort Wayne, IN
June 14 - Norwalk, OH

More details @ https://www.hotrod.com/events/power-tour/

-Tim

Sparta indy and ft Wayne are a doable for me if i get this stupid car running

Sparta indy and ft Wayne are a doable for me if i get this stupid car running

I hear ya there, I will be cutting it close to have mine back in time for Carlisle or HRPT from the body shop, and even then I still have a list of other items to button up.

Either way I will attend even without a Thunderbird. Really wish I could do the long haul again, it was a blast last year. Now that I have 2 kids we have even more vacations planned to accommodate them and the Grandparents :cool:. Not enough vacation time to do everything.

-Tim

Let me know what you end up doing stop wise. I am only 1.5 hr from indy

I hear ya there, I will be cutting it close to have mine back in time for Carlisle or HRPT from the body shop, and even then I still have a list of other items to button up.

Either way I will attend even without a Thunderbird. Really wish I could do the long haul again, it was a blast last year. Now that I have 2 kids we have even more vacations planned to accommodate them and the Grandparents :cool:. Not enough vacation time to do everything.

-Tim

I'm not sure what vehicle I'll be in, but I'll be there. Plan A is my dad's '62 Chevy C-10 with a Cadillac big block under the hood. Truck was totally reliable until about two months ago, now it's been causing nothing but headaches. Lately, we've been chasing a fueling issue. Plan B is my Mercury Marauder (which Long Haul'd last year and did a partial run in 2014). We'd better not have to go further into the alphabet than that. The Super Coupe is probably Plan E, solely because I haven't owned it long enough to trust it and I'd like to fix the A/C if we were to take it.

We will be there for all stops except Charlotte/Concord, solely because I have been there 3x in the past year, seen everything I need to see, and the traffic along 77 is ridiculous most of the day. The Long Haul I did last year was fun, but not enough to brave that city for two days. :D

I met some SC owners last year in Darlington - perhaps some of you - and will keep an eye out this year as well.

Looks like I will only be doing the weekend shows, Charlotte and Martinsville. My daughter has 5th grade graduation on Monday.

I met some SC owners last year in Darlington - perhaps some of you - and will keep an eye out this year as well.

I believe Chris Vining (Blown38) and I ran into you in Darlington...Marauder connections if memory serves me. I started putting this together when I saw your new owner posts.

Totally agree on I-77 being awful, hopefully early morning departure will help avoid that.

Guess we will see you in Martinsville VA then?

-Tim

Yup, that was me! And yeah, I’ll be in Martinsville one way or another. We are skipping some of the venues and opting instead for roadside attractions and enjoying the journey.

We signed up for parade laps at Bristol, group 4 if anyone else is doing it.

Yup, that was me! And yeah, I’ll be in Martinsville one way or another. We are skipping some of the venues and opting instead for roadside attractions and enjoying the journey.

We signed up for parade laps at Bristol, group 4 if anyone else is doing it.

Looks like only pace laps left are Slot 1 at this point.

I am trying to understand what they have in the goodie bags that has such value to justify the Multi-day (2 day pass) $129. vs a per stop passes of $45 ea...only difference I see is the goodie bag. Perhaps the convince of skipping past registration is where they're factoring the savings?

On a local front, I am curious as to how the Martinsville stop will play out. I am 45 mins from the raceway and usually race fans stay in Roanoke for there are few hotel options offered locally. The economy of Martinsville in terms of Hospitality might be interesting, few to little chain hotels. I've also heard of some guys talking about just rolling to Bristol the night before because of this.

-Tim

The economy of Martinsville in terms of Hospitality might be interesting, few to little chain hotels. I've also heard of some guys talking about just rolling to Bristol the night before because of this.
I stayed in Wytheville when I went to the NASCAR race back in '02. Nothing local was available...definitely filled up fast. We booked early and were able to get a hotel right in town for this year's PT.

On a related note, I isolated the stumbling issue on the C-10 to a bad vacuum advance. So it looks like I am still truckin', so to speak.

Hot Rod Power Tour 2019 - Multiple Vehicle Thefts

I saw this headline tonight and it caught my eye.

<iframe width="640" height="360" style="border-width:1px; border-style:solid; border-color:#e6e6e6;" src="https://media.wcnc.com/embeds/video/275-3c3f226c-daaf-4c49-8608-ef832d9e51a2/iframe" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

'You took away a part of me' | Several vehicles on Hot Rod Power Tour stolen from hotel parking lots
Roger Bentley told NBC Charlotte when he called CMPD to file a report, he realized he wasn't the only one.
Author: Alex Shabad
Published: 6:54 PM EDT June 10, 2019
Updated: 6:54 PM EDT June 10, 2019

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — The Hot Rod Power Tour rolled through the Charlotte area over the weekend, but several drivers didn't roll out with their rides.

Several people posted on social media their cars were stolen from hotel parking lots in the University area.

NBC Charlotte talked to a man who said his truck was stolen from Drury Inn on West W.T. Harris Boulevard.

Roger Bentley said he came in from Chattanooga for the big event. He said he first noticed his truck was missing when he went to the parking lot to clear off rainwater.

At first, Bentley thought he forgot where he parked. Then he double-checked with someone else going to the event.

“I said, ‘Where did I park my truck?’ He said, ‘Right outside the door’. I said, ‘That's what thought’. I said, ‘There's nothing there now but a blank space,'" he said.

Bentley said the theft happened just hours after the first stop on the Hot Rod Tour in Concord. When he called police to file a report, he realized he wasn’t the only one.

More at WCNC NBC Charlotte. I tried to post the link but the forum spam filter flagged my post for some reason.

Really sad and disappointing stuff. I couldn't imagine my head space if that happened to my SC. This isn't uncommon however, if I recall a few cars were stolen from Atlanta last year also.

-Tim

Was too late

I lost track of the days and had to work. Sad because it was at Indy on Wednesday, only 3 miles from my house and the after cruise was at Rahal's shop, only half a mile from work. Didn't realize the day had come until it was over.
Very disappointed in myself.

Thefts aside, what a fantastic PT. Cruising on US58 was a treat, and we did The Snake (421) in the C-10.

Back