sunroof

Toomanycars

I have a 1990 SC that I just got running after sitting outside for 15 years. Anyone know if there is a tool to open the sunroof manually? The roof is seized closed

If you pop off the motor cover between the moonroof and the back window, then remove the motor assembly, you should be able to grab the shaft and turn it manually. I've used vice-grips to help index the glass position vs. the motor, just be careful to not mangle the gear.

Note that the windows, trunk release and moonroof are all on the same circuit breaker, cavity #1 in the fuse box under the dash, so if they work the moonroof should too.

Last edited:
I think if it's that stuck, you may need to bleed something into the rails that will reduce the friction and let it soak. At least coax some WD-40 along the seal, perhaps with using a plastic credit card to confirm the seal hasn't attached itself to the edge of the cavity in the body. Only way to get in there to directly reach the slides, tho, when it's closed, is to drop the headliner, I think, ouch. Maybe get it to tilt up, instead of move back...that might let you have a slightly better shot at the rails.

See this thread on moonroof drains so you can witness what you're dealing with: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?133402-Sunroof-drain-lines#post1115262

Parts diagram:
7e0d3f01f5ae37d30bfb6b1b78ccedb6.png

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back