What I learned on The Epic Drive 2019

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
I learned a few things on this year's Epic Drive.

- This is Will Smith's element, he can hang with anyone on the twisties
- It is possible to run the fuel pump dry with 6-7 gallons in a late-model Thunderbird gas tank. All it takes is aggressively driving a 300 degree right hand turn at speed.
- Luckily, we were going downhill and able to hit an observation parking lot. It did not start the first time I tried and then I was busy muscling through the turns.
- If it weren't for a small-town police office, a shifter cable would not have broken until the next day when everyone was trying to head home.
- It is very possible to do these drives with a loose converter, but you better have a really good transmission cooler and lots of gas money (9.89 mpg on one leg).
- Chris Wise organizes fun events.
- My car's exhaust is obnoxiously loud in tunnels.
- It's weekend like this that make me love my car.

Last edited:
I learned:

-My new brake pads make my car sound like a train whistle.
-I should have recharged my AC before the trip.
-A group of Supercoupes can make a road trip of over 1,000 miles without a single problem.
-Kurt and his car aren't too bad in the corners, either. Especially for not having any engine braking.
-Savannah is a cool town.
-GMC 2500s and Hondas with blown shocks can be surprisingly capable on a twisty mountain road.
-The woman who works at the Gearhead is really nice. The rooms, on the other hand...
-The Epic Drive is a blast and only needs more people.

Total mileage:
1,123 miles
Highway mpg: 21.1
Blue Ridge Parkway mpg: 14.6

Some pictures:

DSCN1665.JPG
DSCN1674.JPG
DSCN1685.JPG
DSCN1688.JPG
DSCN1705.JPG

What I learned
-The Blue Ridge Mountains are beautiful
-So is the Blue Ridge Parkway
-SC owners like to drive fast, even if they are not in their SC
-I apparently like to drive faster
-I also apparently don't drive as fast as I used to (couldn't break my previous record home from Savannah)
-I need to find a better option than my 185K mile sport shocks
-When at any restaurant in the south with "Mama" in the name, order the fried chicken
-A harbor freight MIG welder won't fit in the trunk of a T-bird, but it will fit in the back seat
-When in the south, a NY license plate is enough to get you pulled over
-There is no excuse for anyone not going to this event! Anyone who didn't make it, start planning now to go next year.

Total miles driven, about 2200
Not sure on mileage, but it was $330 worth of premium, so probably around 20mpg.

Just saw this!

Learned:

1. If Chris Wise isn't driving Mach 1 with his hair on fire, he isn't happy! Even in a dang Honda!
2. Pictures can be very deceiving when trying to find a place to stay. Gearhead Inn- Cool Concept, terrible execution! My apologies to all! LOL
3. That whole area of NC has some awesome twisty roads to drive on! Even those not named the Tail of the Dragon.
4. 2.73 gears with a five speed nets about 22 mpg for 1515 miles RT.
5. Kurt's SC does drink a lot of gas and his transmission hates long up hill drives! LOL
6. Great group of folks do be around for a weekend and can't wait for next year!
7. More folks need to get to work on their junk! LOL

A few Pics

IMG_5069.JPG Our fearless Leader with his car!
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5176.JPG

Last edited:
Back