Thread: Those goofy push-on plastic fasteners - 89 SC, et al

Those goofy push-on plastic fasteners - 89 SC, et al

What is the proper technique to disengage those goofy looking push-on plastic fastener[s] that retain the system tray in the trunk that's under the package tray? There are similar fasteners that retain the enclosure just forward of the fuel pump inertia cut off switch.

Yup, fuel delivery problems: Wherever my fuel pump relay ends up being is what I'm trying to get to but I do NOT want to trash these fasteners in the process. Oabtw, I'm not soliciting ten different answers on where the relay might be. [;\]}

Thanks for any clues!

Photos of the pin here...use a forked panel removal tool to coax the pin half way out, then the tray should drop down on that end: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...ckage+tray+pin

Discussion/photos here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...t=package+tray

Just keep in mind that one end side of the tray is fastened to the rear deck and the other end has that push-pin that once removed, allows access to items inside the hinged tray.
    Last edited by KMT; 05-21-2019 at 06:16 PM. Reason: linked to photos

KMT: Thank you! The tool shown looks like the solution. If I dick up the fasteners removing them I can resort to tie-wraps to put it back together. At this point, ICCL.

MDW

Quote Originally Posted by Air2Mud View Post
    I can resort to tie-wraps to put it back together. At this point, ICCL.
    I had to raise mine a bit to gain room under it for a subwoofer, and choose to section the supports (I have a spare tray if it ever matters in the future), using tie-wraps to put it back together. As long as that tray is secure and stable when done, you should be ok.

Funny sometimes to see the tactics used on junk SCs in the yards to get access inside the tray...not always pretty

I found the fuel pump relay lurking near the inertia switch just where the EVTM said it would be. The pump relay checks OK. Now to find out why a recently installed Quantum 255lph pump is not pumping. Gah

Maybe the EEC isn't grounding the fuel pump...

Did you try jumping the pump on via the VIP test connector?

Why was the pump replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Maybe the EEC isn't grounding the fuel pump...
    Did you try jumping the pump on via the VIP test connector?
    Why was the pump replaced?
    Questions, questions...

• I have no idea if the EEC is doing anything and couldn't tell if it did. Again, from the beloved EVTM, one side of the fuel pump is already tied [hardwired] to ground, the high side is driven by fill-in-the-blank.
    • The "VIP test connector" sounds like something that's under the vehicle in a totally sh!++y place to get to. The vehicle is barely 6" off the ground; I'm an OF and I don't like crawling under anything anymore. I'll pull out the back seat bottom, remove my "aerospace quality inspection cover" from when I cut a hole in the pan to R&R the pump a few weeks ago. Then I'll remove the connector and apply 12V from an external source and see what happens.
    • The pump was replaced because it failed. When I replaced it I "upgraded" to the Quantum pump. Back to the second bullet above, if the pump doesn't pump, I might try blowing back thru the goesinta line of the fuel filter to backspin the pump if the motor has a dead spot [unlikely].

MDW

Sounds like this issue has you pretty well occupied. Good luck w/it.

Ken