Converting 93 balancer to 36-1?

fasterthanyou

Hey guys, I'm hoping that someone here may be able to share some of their knowledge to help get me out of a bind that I'm in.

I am in need of a neutral balance balancer such as a 94/95 balancer due to my recent m90 install. I have a 93 balancer and an 01-04 mustang balancer and am thinking of combining them to make one functional balancer.

Quick run down on the vehicle. 2000 3.8 mustang, Megasquirt standalone utilizing the edis 6 ignition system. It was solely turbocharged but as of a few days ago I swapped the intake and accessory brackets and installed a thunderbird m90 supercharger.

I am contemplating re-drilling the SC crank pulley to bolt it onto my 01-04 balancer. The downside to this is the balancer does not have a hub for the pulley to sit on to center it like a hub-centric wheel, also I'm not 100% sure the mustang balancer with the SC pulley will line up with the rest of the pulleys. Another thing is the overall height of the balancers are different. When placing them both with the crank hub downward, the SC balancer stands taller. (Without the pulley)

Im thinking my other option is to re-drill the 36-1 reluctor and install it on the SC balancer. I believe I will need to add 3/8 spacers between the balancer and the reluctor wheel to get the wheel to line up with the crank sensor. Just eyeballing it looks like I'll need to have at least some sort of spacer. The main thing to worry about with this option is making sure the reluctor is in the correct orientation in relation to top dead center.

Has anyone successfully done this to their balancer? Has anyone seen a thread of someone converting an early balancer to 36-1? I have searched but did not find any threads going into detail about modifying their balancer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post!

Back