Black XR7

Having problem with idle. starts good.

Before you fire the parts cannon at it...check for codes.

No codes, hit the throttle body with spray cleaner to be sure it's not junked up inside/around the throttle plate. Still no joy, as nickelman60 notes, start looking for vacuum leaks.

Does it make a honking noise at idle? How many miles on the plugs/wires? Can you better describe the problem...does it hunt, stall, race, need nursing...? Any mods? Been sitting? Is the problem the same with both cold and hot starts?

Last edited:
BlackXR7

I received my xr7 from my son when he joined the army sixteen years ago . I'v rebuilt the motor it's board 40 over. the car will start but will not idle, iv'e had to move the distributor 1 gear tooth clock wise for it to start. I have taken it around the b lock it seems to run good , however I need it to Idle . Do I need to turn the electronic distributor in order for it to idle. My son is still in the army I would like to get this done before he retires.

Sorry, I assumed when you said XR7 you meant the Mercury Cougar version of the Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe, supercharged V-6. Those are the models I had in mind when discussing troubleshooting, but they do not have a distributor.

What year car are you working on, with which engine?

Mike:

has a DIS type ign

Got it, thanks. I take it you meant the cam sensor stalk when you said 'electronic distributor'.

See this thread on how to set it up:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...and-timing&highlight=install+cam+sensor+drive

There is also an alignment/synchronizer tool you can buy that helps:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ing-How-to&highlight=install+cam+sensor+drive

What happens to the idle if you disconnect the connector at the cam sensor and start the car? It might take more than one try, but just get it running, then observe the idle. Not sure there is a relationship between the two in your case, tho. I suspect there are vacuum leaks after the rebuild that you need to track down and fix.

have to nurse throttle
After the rebuild, what did you use to reseal the intercooler tubes when you put it back together?

Did you check the inside of the throttle body for any black deposits? 40 over is going to need all the air it can get ;)

Ken

Last edited:
I will check these things out and get back with you in a couple days i'm taking my grand kids camping . Thanks

Set the idle with idle air adjustment screw (top right side of TB). If it wont idle it's probably a vacuum leak on one of the IC tube connections. Spray with carb cleaner to locate leak. The only way to advance/retard ignition timing is with a tuner/programmable chip like Binary Editor and Quarter Horse.

David

Last edited:
Back