Thread: Starter Ignition Switch

Starter Ignition Switch

Lately ive been having electrical problems with all of the interior lights in the car. I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet, I checked the fuse box under the dash and no power is going to some of the fuses. I looked at the starter ignition switch and noticed the harness wont plug all the way up in the switch, the weight of the harness and all the wires makes it not stay in there all the way. The starter ignition switch also has a small gap separating the two peices. My battery reads 14v when car runs so I don't think its completly failed yet. Could the switch be causing my light problems?Name:  20190814_214704.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  3.38 MBName:  20190814_214659.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  3.96 MB
    Last edited by Kevin92; 08-15-2019 at 02:20 AM.

Edit: You said interior lighting... good luck
    Last edited by potshotscott; 08-16-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Replacing that switch is a no-brainer if it's been in service for a while, even if it doesn't fix your current issue. They are a common failure point, not expensive, and easy enough to swap out, you just need to have the correct torx bit. Search here for steps to install new.

Otherwise (and according to a '90 EVTM), I'd want to know that the connections at the 60A fuse in the Power Dist. Box (near the battery) are clean, and the main headlight switch is healthy - look for white power under it with the cluster bezel removed, indicating internal wear/corrosion. I'd replace it if any question, but it's not as easy to find and fairly priced as the ignition switch, I think. Might try to remove it and give it a bath in spray electrical/contact cleaner.

Ill probably have someone help me remove the instrument cluster cover, im not good working with the clips. Ok ill buy a new starter ignition switch, but I want to glue it together to keep it from separating. Whats a good glue that will hold metal to plasic? Ill also clean up the connection to the fuses, and use electrical grease stuff they sell at the store.

There is significant internal torque that would, in my opinion, work to eventually defeat any effort to glue the housing. If the thought of it coming open is a concern, I'd tie-wrap it instead.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    There is significant internal torque that would, in my opinion, work to eventually defeat any effort to glue the housing. If the thought of it coming open is a concern, I'd tie-wrap it instead.
    This.

Some big zip ties around will help relieve SOME Of the pressure on the pot metal ears.

RwP

Quote Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
    This.

Some big zip ties around will help relieve SOME Of the pressure on the pot metal ears.

RwP
    I'll vouch for that. I've got one thats been like that for longer than I can remember.