View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I definitely want to see it and would consider supporting the project.

2 33.33%
  • I want to see it and would gladly provide feedback when it's released.

2 33.33%
  • I kind of want to watch it.

2 33.33%
  • I might watch it, just to see how bad it is.

0 0%
  • I WOULD NOT consider watching it at all.

0 0%

Thread: Low-Budget YouTube Entertainment Series Featuring a Supercoupe (good or bad)

Low-Budget YouTube Entertainment Series Featuring a Supercoupe (good or bad)

I've finally graduated from college, so now I want to try my hand at a project I've been wanting to do for years: make a live-action realistic-fiction series on YouTube that prominently features a 1990 Thunderbird SC. I do not currently have a script written for it yet, but I've spent years keeping notes and revising my ideas for (what I would consider) a semi-decent plot. I'm trying not to spoil too much, but this is the basic idea:

A young and naÔve-but-humble Frederick L. Raleigh tries to purchase his late-uncle's Supercoupe before his extended family (located in another state) sells it for scrap metal. To his dismay, Fred discovers that his family already sold the car to a scrapyard mere hours before he arrived to purchase it. Even though Fred tracks down the junkyard that has the car, he is unable to persuade the apathetic owner to sell him the car since it has already been "entered into the system" and thus, wasn't worth the aggravation. Emotionally-compromised (and convinced that the car is more valuable than it really is), Fred steals the car under the cover of darkness and retreats back to his home state. One thing leads to another, and Fred finds himself living a double life where he hides the fact he stole the car (from his friends and immediate family) while he is constantly on the run from the police who are closing in on him. So, Fred ends up working various odd-jobs in small towns where nobody knows (or cares) that he may have stolen his daily driver. Eventually, Fred accidentally "sees something he wasn't supposed to" and winds up forming an uneasy alliance with an unsavory group of organized criminals who heavily compensate Fred (and let him live) in exchange for his driving services. All the while, parts on the Thunderbird keep wearing out and Fred pours nearly all of his money into keeping it running until he can figure out a plan to get himself out of the massive hole he dug for himself.

The reason I am even bringing this up: I want to get into filmmaking, but I need to have some completed projects that I can point to. So, I am going to dedicate a lot of time to making a free-to-watch movie/series on YouTube that anyone can watch, but I need an audience (to provide feedback). Before I commit too much to this project, I wanted to see if members of the SCCoA would be interested in seeing it get turned into a reality. If so, let me know. I will make a teaser trailer and upload some test clips in the near future.

I'm not thrilled by the plot summary. That whole situation of stealing the car from the junkyard might be somewhat believable for something old and rare, but I don't buy it for an SC. Plus it sounds like after a short while the car becomes pretty irrelevant to moving the plot forward, and is no more than the explanation for how he got to this small town in the first place. I think the idea of having him be a getaway driver who uses his SC could work. That would allow for the car to occasionally fail at inopportune times, but always manage to get him out of whatever situation he is in, which could be entertaining.

Regardless of what it is, I'll watch it, cause it has an SC in it, and was made by an SCCoA member, but if you are looking for this to be well received by other people who are not SC enthusiasts, that would be my suggestion.

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured, the car is integral to the plot.

Thereís a twist Iím trying not to spoil, but I will take what you said into consideration (nothing is filmed yet, so you guys can have a big influence on what gets made).

Iím going to work on a trailer soon. But Iíll keep checking on the forum for other suggestions.

1993 Thunderbird added to lineup

Hey all, bit of an update.

In addition to my Oxford White 1990 5-speed and 1991 5-speed, I recently purchased an Oxford White 1993 5-speed (I've mentioned this in the technical section, but I haven't posted any photos of it yet). It's actually so nice, I've decided to make it my "hero car" that the protagonist will use in most close-ups for the series. I now have to make some big decisions regarding the appearance of my other SCs to make all three appear as identical as possible for consistency. For instance, the 1993 has a number-keypad but my 1990 does not, so I am going to make a custom decal that looks just like the keypad and stick it on the same spot to make both cars appear the same, even though the one on the 1990 is not functional. There are several other little things I have already decided I want to do (I will list them out later) but I am conflicted about some harder-to-fake appearance changes I need to make and I wanted to get the input of other SCCoA members. I'll just post one issue/question at a time.

(1) The 1993 has a pinstripe on it, my other 2 do not. The pinstripe is in nice shape, but I don't know where I could buy another one just like it (to put on my other two SCs). It looks like one thin stripe is blue and the other is black. From a distance it is hard to tell. Ultimately, I need to decide whether I eliminate the pinstripe from the 1993 or purchase a identical/similar pinstripe to put on the 1990-1991. It's a minute detail, but I figured the SCCoA should have a say in the matter. If the pinstripe is not a factory option and/or the general consensus is that it doesn't "enhance" the appearance of the car, I will consider eliminating it.

I can take a more close-up photo of it if that helps (but I'm ok with anything that looks similar to this from a distance unless I decide to omit it)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

If this is the main car, and the others are only going to be moving shots of the car driving or doing stunts or something, then just a single black pinstripe running the length of the car would be close enough. As a matter of fact, even in these still pictures from this distance, that it what it looks like. Also for the keypad, using the same principle, a piece of black electrical tape the right length would look good enough that in a moving shot, you would never notice the difference.

I dig it - I agree it sounds out-there for the SC to be the hero car, but I'm sure it could be made to work with some creative thinking. It will be unique - that's for sure!
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | '17 Spectator | '18 Freeze-Plug Champ
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, Alky-Inj ¶ 387rwhp, 438rwtq (new motor) ¶ Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph (old motor)
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrFishbone View Post
    I dig it - I agree it sounds out-there for the SC to be the hero car, but I'm sure it could be made to work with some creative thinking. It will be unique - that's for sure!
    Thanks for the feedback. The SC in the story is stolen/saved because of itís sentimental value to the character rather than its KBB value. However, the protagonist does originally assume the car is worth more than it really is when he made the decision to steal it.

Hey,
    Things have been crazy for me the past few weeks. In short, I have driven my 1990 SC to Wisconsin where it will remain for the foreseeable future. The remaining 2 SCs in Georgia will need some maintenance before they are safe to drive (the 1991 has not been on a public road since early 2015 and the 1993 still has a couple mysterious leaks).

I might be moving to Wisconsin to be closer to family, but most of the filming for my series needs to take place in Georgia (where the story was written for). Iím a little short on time now, but Iíll try to put something together (picture/video) to give an idea of the kind of series Iím trying to make.

-Rick Leuce