Cloudflare captcha triggering from Finland

itn

Hi,

For years I've been lurking around on sccoa. Registered a while back. Lately (as in the last week or so) I've been getting Cloudflare captchas whenever coming to www.sccoa.com. I tried using from a couple different Finnish networks and asked some friends to test, too. Everyone got the captcha. I can get in by answering the captcha. But it seems like whole Finland is semi-blocked... What gives?

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/e...te-protected-by-Cloudflare-as-a-site-visitor-
https://community.cloudflare.com/t/community-tip-best-practices-for-captcha-challenges/56301

Based on those two pages, first I checked a couple of the affected IPs with Project Honeypot. Nothing came up so that shouldn't be the reason.

"The site owner decided to block the country you are visiting from" seems like the most plausible explanation at the moment. Can an administrator maybe ease up the settings a little bit, if that indeed is the reason?

Br,
Tapio

Yes, we've put a captcha on all of Finland about a week or so ago. We had a HUGE influx of traffic from China, Finland and Russia in the past two weeks. Enough that it took down the site at times. That or you have a LOT of friends in Finland testing the site! :)

We're still seeing a large amount of traffic trying to get in from these three countries; until that stops or levels off, we're stuck. If, by some chance, you have a static IP or block of IPs you access the site from, I'm happy to whitelist those for you if helpful.

Yes, we've put a captcha on all of Finland about a week or so ago. We had a HUGE influx of traffic from China, Finland and Russia in the past two weeks. Enough that it took down the site at times. That or you have a LOT of friends in Finland testing the site! :)

We're still seeing a large amount of traffic trying to get in from these three countries; until that stops or levels off, we're stuck. If, by some chance, you have a static IP or block of IPs you access the site from, I'm happy to whitelist those for you if helpful.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking that might be the reason, but as Finland is not generally used so much in DDoS attacks and such, I figured it wouldn't be the reason for this. What I'm saying Finland is generally not like China or Russia in these matters. Anyways, sorry to hear this and I just hope you'll remove the captcha when this levels off.

If there are not too many Finnish IPs/ranges you get DDoSed from, I highly suggest you make proper abuse reports to the network owners as they are very likely to take action. And especially if it's a botnet with mostly consumer broadband users, there are only a few ISPs in Finland to report to. You can also report it to CERT-FI at https://eservices.traficom.fi/dataservices/forms/ktklomake.aspx?FormCode=9002&langid=en. It's understandable if you're not willing to, but I wanted to let you know that Finnish ISPs and other operators are most likely responsive to abuse matters like these.

Thanks for the offer about whitelisting, I'll get back to you if it seems necessary. For now I think I'll just wait :)

Pat,

Do you think the popular use of VPNs has anything to do with this?

-Tim

Back