A few issues with my 90 sc

90blacksc

I replaced the abs brake actuator about a year ago. I've been working alot lately and let the car sit for a bit 2 months. Got in it today and the pedal was stiff and the brake and abs light is on. Not sure if I need to replace again.

Also when I got in it today and turned the a/c and nothing happened. It doesnt blow any air hot or cold. I can hear the vacuum release when I turn it on and off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If the accumulator is only a year old, it is most likely still good. Any other work done on the ABS?

Can you hear the ABS pump run with the key on? It sits under the master cylinder. If not, I'd check the relays on the firewall, passenger side near the self-test connector. Might be burned and/or corroded at the connector. If those relays haven't been inspected in a while they may not want to come free from their connectors. The one on the right (at least on my '90) with the green connector, when looking at them from the front is the ABS pump motor relay...i'd check it first. If you replace it, be sure to find one for ABS, as the current load is pretty high.

See this link for ABS troubleshooting details: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/Floyd ABS Article.pdf

About the A/C, when you say nothing happens, does the radiator fan come on? Does the A/C compressor engage? If so, but the blower in the cabin doesn't, I'd look at the blower motor/circuit and it's resistor pack. Did you check the fuse for the blower fan in the dash? #11 in the fuse box under the dash. If both the A/C clutch and the blower motor don't work (keeping in mind that A/C clutch engagement relies on system pressure and working pressure switch), I'd check fuses in the primary junction block. The blower should work whether the A/C is ok or not, tho.

Last edited:
If the accumulator is only a year old, it is most likely still good. Any other work done on the ABS?

Can you hear the ABS pump run with the key on? It sits under the master cylinder. If not, I'd check the relays on the firewall, passenger side near the self-test connector. Might be burned and/or corroded at the connector. If those relays haven't been inspected in a while they may not want to come free from their connectors. The one on the right (at least on my '90) with the green connector, when looking at them from the front is the ABS pump motor relay...i'd check it first. If you replace it, be sure to find one for ABS, as the current load is pretty high.

See this link for troubleshooting details: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/Floyd ABS Article.pdf

About the A/C, when you say nothing happens, does the radiator fan come on? Does the A/C compressor engage? Did you check the fuse for the blower fan in the dash? #11 in the fuse box under the dash.

Thanks for the info. I ran out of daylight. I'll check on the items tomorrow.

I replaced the whole assembly, accumulator ball, brakes res, and motor

As with the ac I'm not sure about the fan but I know the compressor was not kicking on

Last edited:
if the brakes aren't working nor the hvac then there is a pretty good chance the ignition switch went bad its very common. At this point I'm pretty sure I've changed well over a dozen ignition switches in my supercoupes over the years.

if the brakes aren't working nor the hvac then there is a pretty good chance the ignition switch went bad its very common. At this point I'm pretty sure I've changed well over a dozen ignition switches in my supercoupes over the years.

Thanks for the reply! Works been hectic I'm hoping to get out and check on the things above. Hopefully it's a easy fix

Did you get this fixed? Ignition switch seems like a culprit as it may not be powering the brake motor circuit. I finally said the hell with mine as I think the pressure switch failed and I couldn't find one let alone replace it without removing the whole abortion from the car, at which point I decided I was not going to try to put it back in the car. I did the brake conversion, as I don't care about ABS since I will not be driving in the winter.

Back