1995 SC Radiator fan wobbling on motor

pollolittle

Radiator puller fan, wobbling on motor. Replaced electrical motor and fan still wobbles. So unsure what pieces are missing or what I have to do to get the wobble out. It vibrates the crap out of the car. It's one of the biggest vibrations the car has, turn A/C off and fan turns off and vibrations settle way down. Even doing the KOEO test and the housing will vibrate heavily. You can reach in push on the fan blades and they wobble, like a bearing gone REAL BAD. But not so much. It is seated in the notch on the fan and over the spring pin on the motor shaft.
So, what am I missing, the service manual says nothing about the parts to it other than replace as a whole. Gotta be just a piece I'm missing.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Thanks!

Sounds like the fan's hub is wasted where it fits on the shaft, or it has broken blades - can you take pics? Did you re-install the metal fan retainer clip on the shaft when you put the new motor in? Was it the fan tight on the new motor, or did it wobble then too? Are any of the blades damaged/missing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. The fan's hub is probably wasted, I just don't know what it should look like to know its wasted. No damaged or broken blades, its in decent shape. I did put the U-shaped clip back on the shaft or it would have probably rotated right off the end of the shaft when it turned on. It wobbled before, so I ordered new motor before I took it apart, figuring bearings in motor gone. Not tight at all. Can I replace the hub in the fan or buy new one? I have looked till my eyes hurt looking to see what that hub should look like or if missing parts. I figure it should take a bit of pressure to put the fan on the shaft, it doesn't.

This is a photo of the fan used on an early SC:
s-l1600.jpg

Someone else would need to confirm it is the same on late model. You can see it's all one piece..hub/blades/outer ring. If the hole in the hub is bad, you'd need to replace it as one piece. When I've taken the fan off the motor it has always put up at least a small amount of resistance. Maybe yours has been out of balance for a long time, causing the hole to slowly wallow out until it got bad enough to get your attention.

You could place a want ad here to see if someone can sell you what you need. Where are you located?

Good luck.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

It looks like that. Then it must really be wallowed out, because there is NO resistance to putting it on or off. I wouldn't mind buying new if I knew where to get it. Just looked up supercoupe performance and I didn't see one there, or autozone or oreilly. so far.

I'm in Memphis, I may have to drill it out straight and see if I can find a small insert to press into it, fixing my wobble and fitment.

Update:

I bought a fan from the ebay link above and the seller tbsc_shop . Fan arrived, no wobble from the hub. The shroud, fan, motor and connector all looked in decent shape. Installed and tested. Works great no wobble and minimal vibration. Would definitely buy from tbsc_shop again.

Ebay had an option to make an offer. I made an offer and got it for just under a hundred. Now I have 2 good motors sitting on the shelf, gonna put them somewhere I won't forget. Hahahahahahahhhehehehehehe.

Now I have a problem with the auto lights..... Gonnna start another thread.

Thanks again. Amazing what you can fix when someone is willing to help with the info they know. This would have been a bit harder if the innerweb didn't exist, cause I don't know anyone who owns this car.

Glad you sorted it out, thanks for the update and g'luck w/the lights. Remember, age and corrosion are not an SC's friend.

Ken

Back