fender mounted starter selenoid.

merkur

94 SC. Is there a fender mount starter selenoid? I don't remember. It acts like it's not getting enough amperage to the Bendix solenoid. I go to p[arts stores, and they have lots of choices for the fender selenoid for a 1994 sc, but I can't find it on the fender. anybody know where they hide it? there seems to be no power to the starter at all without the key in start position. in other words I can't jump the solenoid at the starter because it's not hot until the key is turned. where is the dang thing.
Thanks
Danny

Solenoid is built into the starter on the 94/95's, no external solenoid.

May want to check the multi-wire ignition switch (not the key cylinder) down on the right side of the column, inside the dash. Might have to remove the trim where the column meets the dash to take a look. They tend to fail/come open and cause several problems. Not very expensive and should be easy to find new. Search here for tool tips when swapping.

Well I have heard people say that, but if there was not an external solenoid there would be power at the starter with the key off, and I would be able to jump it from down there. the battery cable to the starter is not hot at all times. Maybe this is a very early 94. Maybe they didn't get the memo. So on the 93 and earlier there was an external? where on the fender well is it located?

Using earlier SC as example, a traditional solenoid sits up top, on the inside of the driver side fender, behind the battery, next to the PCB (engine bay fuse box). Can't miss it. Center right in this image:

attachment.php

Did you do a voltage drop test on the cable to/at the starter?

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember now. Just where I thought it should be. Thank you for taking the time. looks like it's time to drop that starter and check everything out. I don't know why it wouldn't jump at the starter when I tried. Probably my fault. Thanks again. Funny all the parts supplies think it should still have a fender mount solenoid.

Oh yeah, I remember now. Just where I thought it should be. Thank you for taking the time. looks like it's time to drop that starter and check everything out. I don't know why it wouldn't jump at the starter when I tried. Probably my fault. Thanks again. Funny all the parts supplies think it should still have a fender mount solenoid.

One of the big posts on the starter solenoid is a ground...make sure you get the power & trigger and most importantly- make sure the car can't move! :eek: The "hot" large post should be on top and it should be hot at all times (when the battery is plugged in anyways).

Back