91 SC Shoulder Belt ( seat belt )

DougH

91 SC Shoulder Belt on drivers side does not move rearward when drivers door is fully closed. Passenger side shoulder belt is working fine. Anyone ever had the same problem ? Looking for help please.

Thank You

When was the last time it worked? When was the last time the track was lubed? That was my issue last time the driver side acted up.

Does opening the driver door trigger the courtesy lights? Does the warning light in the cluster go out with both doors closed and the pass side belt moved back?

Main circuit is ok if the pass. side moves...you may need to check wiring at the motor/track, which means pulling the backseat and side panel under/around the window, not fun.

Last edited:
Everything worked fine a few days ago. The track has never been lubed that I know of. Opening the drivers door does trigger the courtesy light. Warning light in the cluster goes out with both doors closed, and with the passenger side belt moved back. I bought my SC brand new in 91 and I only have 21K on the car. What was wrong with yours please ?

I had an issue w/my '90 (100k miles) back in 2013 that ended up being the connector/wiring at the latch over the door. Decided to just swap the whole track/motor assembly out for one w/less wear. You can pull that upper trim over the door/A-pillar easy enough if you want to check that wiring for any reason.

Miles aside, I think it can also be about years - when the track dries out, the motor doesn't force the issue if the slide mechanism is stuck. I use WD-40 on neglected tracks, and dry lube white grease spray for maintenance. Does yours try to move/make noise at all? If so, clean & lube until it cooperates.

If your issue is electrical and the motor seems dead, the passive restraint module (LH trunk, behind wheelwell) controls both left/right on separate circuits, so you might start there to see if the circuit is live, then go to the motor/limit switch.

Wires for left side power each direction at the module are: BK/O, BK/W. Wiring at the motor mathes. Limit switch left side is BR/Y & BK.

Last edited:
Good afternoon

Having fought with this issue with LX and SC thunderbirds this what I have done troubleshooting this problem.

Open driver door.

Open trunk door.

Remove "A" pillar trim molding. Locate front two wire limit switch. Remove switch and check and remove any grease build-up. Check ohms function of switch. Press the switch to simulate full "A" pillar stop. There should be no continuity. Check switch button for sticking. If no problems found re-install switch.

Disconnect the two passive restraint module connectors. It is the small gray box located in the trunk driver side underneath the triangle protective cover. You may have to remove the mount bolts for better access. Used electronic cleaner for both the module and connectors. Finish with die-electric grease. Do not reconnect at this time.

Disconnect the should belt. Lubricate the shoulder tract from "A" to "B" pillar. I prefer silicone lubricant with a straw for more accuracy.

Re-set the driver side tract from "A" to "B" pillar stop position by manually rotating the passive motor. Locate and remove the small access panel for the passive motor located at bottom of the "B" pillar driver side passenger panel next bottom seat cushion. Rotate the knob located at the top of the motor moving the shoulder restraint until it rest a the full "B" pillar stop. Excessive force to move the track by hand is a red flag that it needs to be replace. This will be a very, very slow process. Re-lubricate the track.

Inspect the door striker. If the plastic roller is damaged or missing replace it. Lubricate the door latch.

Test operation.

Start car. With driver door open reconnect the the two passive restraint module connectors located in the trunk. Shoulder restraint and track should move from "B" to "A" pillar stop.

Close driver door and operation should be in reverse.

Repeat open and close door procedure at least ten times to verify check operation. Lubricate concentrating at the "B" pillar stop area if shoulder tracks stop in mid operation. Repeat open/close procedure.

If successful Re-install all components.

If problem still persist go to swap out with known good module first. May have to go to the salvage yard if you don't have a spare.

If module does not fix problem as KMT suggested replace with a newer shoulder belt track assemble from the salvage yard.

Good afternoon

Having fought with this issue with LX and SC thunderbirds this what I have done troubleshooting this problem.

Open driver door.

Open trunk door.

Remove "A" pillar trim molding. Locate front two wire limit switch. Remove switch and check and remove any grease build-up. Check ohms function of switch. Press the switch to simulate full "A" pillar stop. There should be no continuity. Check switch button for sticking. If no problems found re-install switch.

Disconnect the two passive restraint module connectors. It is the small gray box located in the trunk driver side underneath the triangle protective cover. You may have to remove the mount bolts for better access. Used electronic cleaner for both the module and connectors. Finish with die-electric grease. Do not reconnect at this time.

Disconnect the should belt. Lubricate the shoulder tract from "A" to "B" pillar. I prefer silicone lubricant with a straw for more accuracy.

Re-set the driver side tract from "A" to "B" pillar stop position by manually rotating the passive motor. Locate and remove the small access panel for the passive motor located at bottom of the "B" pillar driver side passenger panel next bottom seat cushion. Rotate the knob located at the top of the motor moving the shoulder restraint until it rest a the full "B" pillar stop. Excessive force to move the track by hand is a red flag that it needs to be replace. This will be a very, very slow process. Re-lubricate the track.

Inspect the door striker. If the plastic roller is damaged or missing replace it. Lubricate the door latch.

Test operation.

Start car. With driver door open reconnect the the two passive restraint module connectors located in the trunk. Shoulder restraint and track should move from "B" to "A" pillar stop.

Close driver door and operation should be in reverse.

Repeat open and close door procedure at least ten times to verify check operation. Lubricate concentrating at the "B" pillar stop area if shoulder tracks stop in mid operation. Repeat open/close procedure.

If successful Re-install all components.

If problem still persist go to swap out with known good module first. May have to go to the salvage yard if you don't have a spare.

If module does not fix problem as KMT suggested replace with a newer shoulder belt track assemble from the salvage yard.
Thank you for all your help. The issue was the motor. All good now

I had an issue w/my '90 (100k miles) back in 2013 that ended up being the connector/wiring at the latch over the door. Decided to just swap the whole track/motor assembly out for one w/less wear. You can pull that upper trim over the door/A-pillar easy enough if you want to check that wiring for any reason.

Miles aside, I think it can also be about years - when the track dries out, the motor doesn't force the issue if the slide mechanism is stuck. I use WD-40 on neglected tracks, and dry lube white grease spray for maintenance. Does yours try to move/make noise at all? If so, clean & lube until it cooperates.

If your issue is electrical and the motor seems dead, the passive restraint module (LH trunk, behind wheelwell) controls both left/right on separate circuits, so you might start there to see if the circuit is live, then go to the motor/limit switch.

Wires for left side power each direction at the module are: BK/O, BK/W. Wiring at the motor mathes. Limit switch left side is BR/Y & BK.

KMT...……….Thanks for all your help...…...Had to replace the old motor. All is good now. Thank You very much for all your help !

Back