Rough idle and hard brake pedal

350supercoupe

Hey guys I bought a 92 sc it has a rough idle but it’s not throwing a code and the brake pedal is super hard sometimes but sometimes it’s normal the abs light also comes on when I hit the pedal ... totally stumped any advice helps thanks

About the ABS, see: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/Floyd ABS Article.pdf - might be a relay, might need an accumulator.

About the rough idle...could be one or more of several issues, from bad fuel/plugged filter/failed regulator, to vacuum leaks, to worn plugs/wires, etc. etc. etc. Your choice where to start if you don't know the car's history, so pick one and see what you find.

I'd do a visual on all vacuum lines, then check fuel pressure, then go after the plugs and wires. No codes is good info, none the less.

Might help to know if the idle smoothes out when the engine is at operating temp. Does it sound like a goose when you fire it up? Know how to do a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks? Throw a 13mm wrench on the nuts at the intercooler flanges to see if they're loose. Check the oil for water, check the coolant expansion tank for bubbles. Check the crank pulley/balancer for wobble. Check the firing order to make sure it matches this diagram:
PlugandWireLayout.jpg

Temp gauge doesn’t read

About the ABS, see: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/Floyd ABS Article.pdf - might be a relay, might need an accumulator.

About the rough idle...could be one or more of several issues, from bad fuel/plugged filter/failed regulator, to vacuum leaks, to worn plugs/wires, etc. etc. etc. Your choice where to start if you don't know the car's history, so pick one and see what you find.

I'd do a visual on all vacuum lines, then check fuel pressure, then go after the plugs and wires. No codes is good info, none the less.

Might help to know if the idle smoothes out when the engine is at operating temp. Does it sound like a goose when you fire it up? Know how to do a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks? Throw a 13mm wrench on the nuts at the intercooler flanges to see if they're loose. Check the oil for water, check the coolant expansion tank for bubbles. Check the crank pulley/balancer for wobble. Check the firing order to make sure it matches this diagram:
PlugandWireLayout.jpg

I also notice the temp gauge doesn’t read

I also notice the temp gauge doesn’t read

The temp sender is on the thermostat housing. The single wire connector is push-on. Check to confirm the threaded post and connector are not corroded, and that the connector fits snugly when pressed onto the post. Clean any corrosion, and if needed, gently squeeze the connector with pliers so that it better grips the post.

If that doesn't help, you might want to buy and install a new sender...still no joy, might need to debug the gauge/cluster/wiring.

If the cooling system has air in it, the gauge can act up. Air can be hard to clear after a repair, or can be chronic (in the form of exhaust gases), if the head gaskets have failed.

Back