draw on battey

90 red sc

1990 XR7 8 to 9 volt draw on battery. Battery is going dead when sitting. Car will not start. engine cranks.
Pulled fuses one at a time, no change. Went to started relay, pulled alt,. harness off at relay terminal, no change. Pulled other wire to starter solenoid, draw dropped reconnected and removed wiring at starter, still draw.
Any thoughts on next step to identify draw source?
Thanks

Have you made any attempt to know the amount of drain on the battery when the car is sitting?

How old is the battery?

How long has this been a problem?

When you say you pulled fuses, was that at both panels?

Are they any aftermarket accessories installed such as an alarm, backup camera, etc.?

Battery is less than one year old and had no problem until 2 weeks ago. When charged the starter cranks normal with no labor. When battery is charged it hold its charge. No accessories have been added, all stock.

Have you made any attempt to know the amount of drain on the battery when the car is sitting?

Do you know how to connect a volt meter to check the draw?

If you know that that is, it might help to narrow down a list of suspects.

Do you know how to connect a volt meter to check the draw?

If you know that that is, it might help to narrow down a list of suspects.

As I said when I do the draw test , it is drawing 8 volts. gain, when I disconnected the wiring harness that goes from the starter relay on the fender, to the starter, (this has two wires coming off it). It drops. Now I reconnected those wires back to the delay and it was drawing again. I then removed the harness at the starter and solenoid, and this has no effect. I still had the draw. So it is coming from that area.

As I said when I do the draw test , it is drawing 8 volts. gain, when I disconnected the wiring harness that goes from the starter relay on the fender, to the starter, (this has two wires coming off it). It drops. Now I reconnected those wires back to the delay and it was drawing again. I then removed the harness at the starter and solenoid, and this has no effect. I still had the draw. So it is coming from that area.
It kind of sounds like you have a short circuit in the starter itself... somehow. The fat battery cable runs from the solenoid (actually a relay) post directly to the starter.. and is not controlled by the relay.. the thinner cable ALSO runs to the starter, but it is controlled by the relay..

find the fat one and disconnect it. Check to see if its frayed and/or shorted somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
It kind of sounds like you have a short circuit in the starter itself... somehow. The fat battery cable runs from the solenoid post directly to the starter.. and is not controlled by the solenoid.. the thinner cable ALSO runs to the starter, but it is controlled by the solenoid..

you need to find both of those cables, at the solenoid, and disconnect them.
I disconnected both sides at the starter, no change. My thoughts was in the starter also, but wanted to see if someone else had to same opinion.
Thanks

it is drawing 8 volts.

Missed that, sorry. That's seems enough to melt smaller wiring if it's a short, so...

The starter's internal relay is always hot, but if that circuit is hot to ground without being connected at the starter, then the only thing left is a cable issue.

Has the car ever been in a wreck?

You'll need to yank that cable and inspect, but if it comes out, I'd want to only put a new one back in regardless.

Last edited:
Any idea where to get the cable? I have not been able to find one that has both sides from relay to starter.

I just checked the usual sources, rockauto, etc. and don't see anything but the standard single cable. You might see if a local shop can make one up, or source another used one from someone here, or be left to heal the one you have, I guess.

Did you find the damage on the old one yet? Is it just a small cut, or was all the smoke let out of it?

yup I found it. Will have to replace, as you can see, will need to get a used one. May keep this one and rebuild my self for future,
Thanks

Back