1992 Performance Build

Flex

So I finally got started on putting all the aftermarket upgrades into my brother's car. After removing the old power train, my brother and I started with the brakes. Everything is brand new and the car received a Mustang hub swap. Rear brakes installed with SCU's rear adapter brackets.

20190730_182850.jpg20190801_190955.jpg20190801_175833.jpg

Attachments

• 20190730_181802.jpg
    20190730_181802.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 328
  • 20190801_180653.jpg
    20190801_180653.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 327
The front wells were stripped, all gaps filled with urethane sealer and then painted.20190904_192026 (1).jpg20190911_190337 (3).jpg20190911_190455.jpg20190912_152949.jpg20190912_193759.jpg

The engine is heavily modded. It has a set of Wiseco higher compression pistons from a group buy set up by David a few years ago. He had them Swain coated for me at the same time. The rods are Scat h-beams wwith ARP 2000 cap screws. Total Seal gapless rings, a custom cam David had made up for me. The intake has been welded in and modified. Heads and mains are studded with a 94 windage tray added. High volume oil pump and Morana double roller along with the torrington thrust spacer I just purchased from David. Heads are ported with Manley severe duty 7mm valves, beryllium alloy seats and bronze guides, Comp springs with Manley ICD titanium retainers and locks. Flow numbers were 250/196. I modified the pedestals to use a Crane 351C guide plate conversion kit to reduce movement of the 1.8 aluminum roller rockers. Pushrods are Comp heavy wall.

I purchased a brand new MPX from Charles with the new abraded rotors. I also bought the larger 95mm tb but he never got the larger prototype inlet back to copy so I ended up modifying the regular MPX inlet myself. The inlet elbow has also been enlarged in the necked down area. I have a 4 inch cold air tube, 95mm C&L MAF and 80lb Motron injectors. Everything will be controled by a Moates quarterhorse and a custom tune David wrote for it.

The headers are Kook's midlength going into a Flowmaster Force II system. My brother and I spent a couple of days tweaking a Magnum Powers intercooler setup so that an all aluminum 4 core Mustang rad could fit. Originally he made some alluminum brackets so that we could use the factory fan but it was way too thick with the waterpump pulley hitting the housing. I picked up a Maradyne Mach 1 and we made new brackets for it. Even though it was 2 inches thinner, it still came close. We machined a 1/2" aluminum spacer to suck the motor into the housing and it looks good now.

The transmission is a 4R70W from a 2001 Mustang and has a B& M deep pan. It will be controlled with Bauman stand alone shift controller and their custom harness. I had a Mark 8 aluminum driveshaft shortened to account for the longer transmission and I have a Cobra aluminum pumpkin with 3.55's, an Auburn posi and Control Freak thicker cover.

I will update the progress as things are installed. I have to figure out why all my photos were rotated 90 degrees too. Lol.

The engine is heavily modded. It has a set of Wiseco higher compression pistons from a group buy set up by David a few years ago. He had them Swain coated for me at the same time. The rods are Scat h-beams wwith ARP 2000 cap screws. Total Seal gapless rings, a custom cam David had made up for me. The intake has been welded in and modified. Heads and mains are studded with a 94 windage tray added. High volume oil pump and Morana double roller along with the torrington thrust spacer I just purchased from David. Heads are ported with Manley severe duty 7mm valves, beryllium alloy seats and bronze guides, Comp springs with Manley ICD titanium retainers and locks. Flow numbers were 250/196. I modified the pedestals to use a Crane 351C guide plate conversion kit to reduce movement of the 1.8 aluminum roller rockers. Pushrods are Comp heavy wall.

I purchased a brand new MPX from Charles with the new abraded rotors. I also bought the larger 95mm tb but he never got the larger prototype inlet back to copy so I ended up modifying the regular MPX inlet myself. The inlet elbow has also been enlarged in the necked down area. I have a 4 inch cold air tube, 95mm C&L MAF and 80lb Motron injectors. Everything will be controled by a Moates quarterhorse and a custom tune David wrote for it.

The headers are Kook's midlength going into a Flowmaster Force II system. My brother and I spent a couple of days tweaking a Magnum Powers intercooler setup so that an all aluminum 4 core Mustang rad could fit. Originally he made some alluminum brackets so that we could use the factory fan but it was way too thick with the waterpump pulley hitting the housing. I picked up a Maradyne Mach 1 and we made new brackets for it. Even though it was 2 inches thinner, it still came close. We machined a 1/2" aluminum spacer to suck the motor into the housing and it looks good now.

The transmission is a 4R70W from a 2001 Mustang and has a B& M deep pan. It will be controlled with Bauman stand alone shift controller and their custom harness. I had a Mark 8 aluminum driveshaft shortened to account for the longer transmission and I have a Cobra aluminum pumpkin with 3.55's, an Auburn posi and Control Freak thicker cover.

I will update the progress as things are installed. I have to figure out why all my photos were rotated 90 degrees too. Lol.

Damn, that sounds like a serious set of heads. Did you port them yourself?

Yes I did the porting. Been doing it since I was 16 on small blocks and big blocks. That was my first attempt at the 3.8 SC. I was in there for quite awhile. I knocked the core plugs out so that I could try and gauge thickness. The valves are also 1.95 Intake and 1.65 exhaust so they are big and still fairly light due to being 7mm.

I also did the entire assembly of the engine including grinding the rings etc. I had a cheap ring cutter that is fixed and I went really slow so it took me a few days. I did the welding on the intake as well then just had it milled flat. Cleaned, polished and painted every part. I used a lot of stainless fasteners including a lot of stainless ARP stuff. Looks pretty good. I hope it performs as good.

The intercooler and the 4 row radiator are really thick. I had to get a Maradyne Mach 1 fan to get it to work. We even had to have a spacer machined to sink the fan motor into the housing a 1.2 inch.20191007_180125.jpg20191020_182931.jpg20191020_182937.jpg

Back